What oil pan for Magnum Swap?

-

fenderman33

Reaction score
What oil pan are people using for their Magnum swaps? I have a 94 Grand Cherokee 4WD pan from a 5.2 Magnum. It's going in a 73 Duster with a 72 v8 K frame. Do I need a 360 LA A body pan?
Am I right to assume I use the pickup for whichever pan I end up using?
Thanks,
Jon

The 360 LA car oil pan will work fine on the Magnum engine. Use the one piece MP oil pan gasket. The LA pickup should work but check your clearances before using the LA style pickup.

Joe

the LA car pan is right.
use the pickup and dipstick for LA also.
If you can find a one piece seal for the LA use it, but the Magnum one is a bit different. I orderd one listed for an La from Summit and it turned out to be for a Magnum.
the Magnum pan is a little different than the LA.

To use the one piece I cut the notched areas out of the LA. Then cut out and welded the smooth corners of the Mag pan on.
I stole these pics from Old Geezers thread.
Thx Geez

GeezzerPan01.jpg

GeezzerPan02.jpg

According to my "Building Magnum Engines for High Performance" book, it says the 5.9 and 5.2 take a different oil pan. It doesn't say what pan the 5.2 takes. I'd ASSume it takes the 318/340 pan, rather than the 360.

Steve

Hi I put a 5.9 Magnum in my 1964 Dodge Dart about 10 years ago and had to use a LA360 pan and it has no problems and still runs in the high 13 s with the A518 and 3:91 posi.

I read in several places that the magnum engines do use the same pan whether it's a 5.2 or 5.9L The older LA's were different from 318 to 360 but they changed them on the magnums so there the same as the LA 360.

So all the information is condensed into one post:

You will need a 3/18/340 LA passenger car center sump pan and pickup with an LA 318/340 oil pan gasket.

the magnum 5.9 and 5.2 share the same pan...

match the oil pan gasket to the oil pan...magnum pan..magnum gasket...

LA pan...LA gasket...otherwise you will have a leaker....

So all the information is condensed into one post:

You will need a 3/18/340 LA passenger car center sump pan and pickup with an LA 318/340 oil pan gasket.

I believe it's actually 360 LA passenger car center sump pan and pickup.
Thanks everyone for the help.

-
Back