What oils have high zinc levels today?

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody:

I'm trying to find an oil with a half decent zinc level in it. Shell Rotella T I hear has been reformulated and it was a big favorite in lots of places. No one gives out the contents chart to show the levels. This is the only other oil I could come up with.

http://www.drivenracingoil.com/

Valvoline VR-1

Or an oil of your choice with a bottle of zinc additive.

I use Brad Penn "Green Oil". Everyone I know uses this oil. They even have a specific oil for engine break in that contains more zinc.

VR-1 has 2 different types. Over the counter and NOT STREET LEGAL. The NOT STREET LEGAL is a 500 Mile Racing oil. It has 1300ppm of Zinc and no detergents or cleaners.
Brad Penn and most all of the other Race Oils are 500 mile oils.

The over the counter VR-1 has 1200ppm of Zinc with Detergents and cleaners. It is a standard change oil..... 3000 mi per oil change. The over the counter VR-1 has way more choices on viscosity than the NOT STREET LEGAL VR-1

some say hi zinc isn't required for small cams....i don't know
now...what is a small cam?
I called Shell Canada and talked to their tech and was told Rotella had 1300 ppm but that was about 3 years ago.

Mobil-1 15w50 has high zinc and is described by them for flat tappet cams, walmart carries it in the 5 qt. jugs too.

I have run it in my 340 dart for over 10 years

some say hi zinc isn't required for small cams....i don't know
now...what is a small cam?
I called Shell Canada and talked to their tech and was told Rotella had 1300 ppm but that was about 3 years ago.

That's good but try asking again. I've heard anything up to 1200 is very good.

Valvoline VR1 off-road racing oil. Or just add a zinc additive to the oil of choice..........

My oil of choice is Joe Gibbs, they have a heavy zinc additive break in oil and a Hot Rod zinc additive oil for after break in and future oil changes, been great to me and my friends.

:blob:

Check out the 15w50 on page 2

Attachments

• Mobil_1_Product_Guide.pdf
    59.6 KB · Views: 340
Lucas Hot Rod oil. It's very reasonable too.

i use John Deere 15w40 oil. I have 2 Deere tractors so plenty of extra oil. I read it has 800 ppm of zinc etc. I put half bottle Eastwood zppd additive in each oil change

Brad Penn 10w-30.

I used their breakin oil on my 340 and then used their 10w30 since... Oil psi is a round 75-80 while driving and never drops below 50 at idle.

Also after 2 years of use it still had a green tint went i drained the oil.

This is interesting, especially since I was watching an episode of CSI last night and they used a trace of oil with high zinc content and bias ply tire tracks to identify an old truck that was used to commit vandalism.

-
Back