What parts do I need for steering?

-

Dobe

Reaction score
Hey folks

I have a '73 Plymouth Duster that's literally a rolling shell. I'm as amateur as they come so it's going to be a huge learning experience. The first thing I'm going to tackle is the steering but since I have no steering components (I mean absolutely none. No steering wheel, no column, etc.).

So I was wondering if anyone could tell me what all the parts I'm going to need in order to make the car steerable. I'm thinking about going with power steering as well. If anyone can help, or point me in the direction of any websites that have part manuals I can download that'd be great

Search on this site for user 67dart273, he has a thread with all of the factory manuals free for download in PDF form. I also bought a book on Amazon just to have out in the garage with me. Do you have a K-frame? That'll decide which year parts you need, IIRC there were some differences in years that don't play together. Parts off the top of my head; idler arm, pitman arm, center link, two inner tie rods, two tie rod adjusters, two outer tie rods, steering box(power or manual), and a whole column. A lot of these parts you can pick up here on this sight for pretty good prices. If you're going to go power you'll want a column from a power car, manual with manual car. Being a 73 you'll also want a column with ignition in it. If I were you I'd try and find someone parting a 73+ car and grab all the big items, ie. column, box, center link. The rest of the parts can be found on rock auto et al.

Have fun!

I don't want to discourage your efforts but I must say you have chosen an extremely difficult path. Even seasoned professionals have a difficult time putting things back together when they lack the memory of having taken them apart. In addition, you will find the cost of completing the project very high. Purchasing individual components is very expensive. There's just a lot of 'stuff' that goes into a car. I'd recommend you try to find a complete car to start with. Just my $.02 for what its worth.

yah i would start with a good craigs list search theres still plenty around

-
Back