What primer do i need to use?

-

swinger74

Reaction score
Hello, i am cleaning up my engine bay & using aircraft stripper to use remove the paint. What primer do i need to use? i dont plan on actually painting it for a month or so just getting everything test fitted and ready.

Thanks
Ryan

Personally, I'd use epoxy. It's tough, a good base to build on, and doesn't absorb water.

If your taking it down to metal than a good etch primer will stop any rust from forming.....a good epoxy primer will do the same.

Check out my build thread (link in my signature below) I went through the same process. stripped engine bay and entire car to metal. You might find some info of use in there.

good luck

Dusterdude - thanks looked thorugh your build. So a couple more questions is there a "better" brand or just more expensive packaging? assuming i shouldn't use the couple srpay cans i have for this. Also if the primer sits for a month or two do i have to rough it up before i apply any paint for can i just use a surface cleaner?

Ryan

Depends on what you prefer. For the engine bay you could just get rattle cans, your local paint shop should have what you need. You could get sem brand etch primer that costs a bit more than most but ive found even duplicolors etch primer is good stuff. . Or you can buy some by the sprayable quart or gallon ( if going epoxy i would spray with a gun not use rattle cans). You can also get etching washs and. Everyone prefers different brands and this topic is always pretty debatable from all of the different opinions. And yes if it sits awhile your going to want to scuffle it prior to paint.
If your taking it to metal and on a budget, id spray etching primer. Then when your ready to paint you would scuffle that, prime, seal, paint. Hope that helps

Buy a quart and some hardener and spray it on. I would if you havent already ive it a good rinse with soap and water to neutralize the stripper. If you go with rattle can your top coat could lift it and have adhesion problems.

I like epoxy primer myself. Not mentioned previously is Prep-All. After stripping, washing with soapy water I always wipe the entire area with Prep-All.

http://www.autobodytoolmart.com/klean-strip-prep-all-wax-grease-remover-gsw362-p-14855.aspx

I went to NAPA and bought a gallon of epoxy primer. Available in white, grey and black.

http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/CatalogItemDetail.aspx?R=MSRGALPIP102_0000999999

I know a lot of people don't have much good to say about Harbor Freight but for primer you just can't beat the price on this set of spray guns. Always check their online price because if you print the ad and take it to your local store they will honor the online sale price.

http://www.harborfreight.com/professional-automotive-hvlp-spray-gun-kit-94572.html

I used Rust Destroyer. It claims 800 F, etches bare metal and converts rust, even primes aluminum. Used to find quarts at Ace ($22), but last time I had to go to a paint shop. Home Depot carries the spray cans ($12). I sprayed it from a quart can, but had to thin it slightly to spray. You must wait a week before top coating. I top-coated w/ Interlux Brightsides, using a foam brush, and came out smooth and shiny. I did this w/ engine in car (manifold & valve covers off), brakes & steering out, everything off the firewall and fenders. I just taped plastic over the engine top. I also used stripper, plus wire brush, and sandpaper until bright everwhere except a few pitted spots under the cowl lip. Whatever you pick, use high-heat paints above the exhaust.

thanks for all the replies i think i am going to use the couple of self etching cans i have now just to protect the metal then test fit everything in hopfully during the 4th weekend. Then rough up the primer shoot some epoxy and be good to go. anyone see a problem with that? how long is paint good for after you open it?

Thanks again!

you better make sure you clean it very,very good before you paint or prime anything. if you leave anything on the metal the paint will lift. as for the paint what is usually done is decide which paint you want to use then buy the primer that goes with that product. for instance if you using chromabase paint you buy the primer that goes with that paint.

you better make sure you clean it very,very good before you paint or prime anything. if you leave anything on the metal the paint will lift. as for the paint what is usually done is decide which paint you want to use then buy the primer that goes with that product. for instance if you using chromabase paint you buy the primer that goes with that paint.

Yep, ya gotta make sure their compatable.

-
Back