What product to use on Hood Hinge springs?

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
What would you recommend to get the rust off of the springs on these hood hinges. I do not want to remove the spring from the hinge.
Also, where can I get the little clips that hold the hinge to the car?
HoodHinges.jpg

HoodHingeClip.jpg

I usually sand blast mine.

The clips can be bought from Lawnmower stores, same as used to hold wheels to axles on some models.

sandblast or soak in evaporust, clips can be bought at your local hardware store

Those springs are pretty similar to those on the window regulators. I put a big c-clamp on mine and took them off with vise grips firmly on the bent tab. Easy peasy. Then a day or two in Evaporust cleaned them right up. Take pictures before so you get it put back on correctly.

After I get them cleaned up, should I put any kind of lubricant on the springs? I'm guessing not, since they were designed to remain under the fenders for the life of the car.

be sure to get some white lithium grease worked down into pivots before you install them. Having one freeze while the hood is open results in a complicated procedure involving taking the wheel off, removing the fender splash shield and popping the spring off anyway, until you can get home and replace the hinge altogether. It happened to me in the race pits at the local track in the middle on an event - at least I had lots of help holding the hood and more advice than you could shake a stick at...

be sure to get some white lithium grease worked down into pivots before you install them. Having one freeze while the hood is open results in a complicated procedure involving taking the wheel off, removing the fender splash shield and popping the spring off anyway, until you can get home and replace the hinge altogether. It happened to me in the race pits at the local track in the middle on an event - at least I had lots of help holding the hood and more advice than you could shake a stick at...
Can I replace the hinges through the splash shield or do I need to remove the fenders? Looking for advice from someone who has experience, I've never worked with these hinges before.

You can do it with the fenders on but it would be easier with the off.

Personally I would put some lube like brake lube on all pivot points and I would get some in the coil spring as well.

As the coil spring tightens it tends to ride on itself toward the inside, some lube there makes a diference

As above, yes you can through the splash shield. If I had car that I was not concerned about nicking the paint I would just take the fender off (although removal, replacement reallignment takes time). If I had nice paint, or at least paint I was trying to keep as nice as I could, it's worth it to at least try to do the job through the splash panel. Tire and wheel off, point the wheels away from the side you are working on, take a screw driver and break off the old push ring. Looking at your avatar, this would be the time to replace the splash shields with some plastic ones off a 73 and later Dart or Demon - they weigh a lot less and never rust - direct replacement.

Vinegar works great and it's cheap "af" as the kids say nowadays.

After I get them cleaned up, should I put any kind of lubricant on the springs? I'm guessing not, since they were designed to remain under the fenders for the life of the car.
I used a grease that has a tackifier, intended for use on open gears. It keeps the spring from binding and will hopefully stay put.

-
Back