what proof do we have that 1969 383s came with chrome Valve covers?

-
I sent that to a friend of mine . His family owned the Buick dealership in Pocitello and he remembers that dealership.
He told me about taking a Buick GSX fresh off the transport to the drag strip with a mechanic and sneaking it back on the lot before his dad found out !
They also owned the Toyota franchise so they got tons of musclecars in trade starting 72-73...

ive already checked the parts book, its not conclusive. doesnt mention chrome, but also doesnt mention high or low performance b-body left valve covers. i checked the 68 parts book too, again, nothing good to learn from
Tony love to see that your on For A Bodies Only. Its awesome to have someone with your expertise on this site.

I sent that to a friend of mine . His family owned the Buick dealership in Pocitello and he remembers that dealership.
He told me about taking a Buick GSX fresh off the transport to the drag strip with a mechanic and sneaking it back on the lot before his dad found out !
They also owned the Toyota franchise so they got tons of musclecars in trade starting 72-73...

The guy that bought my 383-S new lives in American Falls, near Pocatello, not sure if he is still alive but it was fun talking to him about his car. His name was on the warranty card. He sent me a video of the car when it was new, kind of cool. I passed all this stuff on to the new owner when I sold it to him a couple of years back. I sold it to build my dream car. Rod

IMG2671-M.jpg

9-10-16 Barracuda.jpg

Last edited:
Part numbers are 2946463 and 2899045 listed for B and L models.

69_Barracuda0009_LI.jpg

You are Welcome!

My Right is 67/68 as the 69 were not supposed to have the heater hose bracket. Was thinking some one might reproduce them or thinking of it.

image1.JPG

image2.JPG

image3.JPG

What bracket are you talking about ? The 69 I bought from my uncle was never touched. It was a bran find with the barn. lol It has the hose bracket that screws to the inner fender.

View attachment 1715046453

The one on the inner fender as you have shown. On mine the dimple was there but no hole.

mmm could that be some sort of option ? or a auto or 4spd difference

Do not think so.

All 69's I have seen have the fender bracket. My car is early October 68 build per the fender tag. During resto LH thought the car was pulled from the line and re-painted. He knows it was originally sprayed B3 as it it was the first color above finish prime. The Fender tag and more show B7! The B7 sat directly on top of the B3 which is why he thought is was pulled from the line. Not sure how they would have done this back in the day on the assembly line but, if it was a real early build would the fender tag and serial number not show it? This seems the only plausible reason that maybe it had some leftover 68 parts. All I know is you never say it never happened when it comes to Mopar.

Here is my Swiss cheese verified original inner fender from all the ignition modifications and such over the years. You can see the hole for the bracket on the upper right side of the shock tower that was never punched. Maybe it had no bracket or, 68 Style cover from the factory, who knows!

image.jpeg

Last edited:
October isn't a particularly early build date. My '68 has an SPD of 8/28/67.

Agreed, they built probably a hundred of them by early October, why would this car not have the fender mount bracket. I see plenty of earlier build 69's that do.

Last edited:
Much more than 100. While it is not exact (cars did not come off the line in VIN sequence) my GTS has a sequential # in the 11,000's at the end of the second month of production.

I would imagine you guys are referring to 383 cars, but for what it's worth, my '69 318/4 speed car has a dimple, no screw hole.

As for factory re-paints, I belonged to a Mopar car club when these cars were new (and driven....HARD). One guy had a new, bronze '69 GTX that had been repainted from a different color, at the factory. Paint code was correct, but there were slight, tell tale signs of it under the hood. As I recall, I believe it was a brown metallic. In hind sight, if the bronze was as transparent to apply as the Burnt Orange, they may have used the brown as an undercoat.

I believe someone is reproducing them. I just cant think of where I saw them.

Much more than 100. While it is not exact (cars did not come off the line in VIN sequence) my GTS has a sequential # in the 11,000's at the end of the second month of production.

100 383 cars? Probably less don't you think by an early october scheduled build? I was thinking 100 never mind trans! Heck they only produced 272 fastback 383s autos in 69 according to resources.

Last edited:
I believe someone is reproducing them. I just cant think of where I saw them.

AMD sells the 67/68 version in chrome. You can get a set for 69 RR or such and have them chromed by a third party! Course you have to coat the # 7,8 plug wire tabs afterwards and right side harness wire tabs to get it right!

Last edited:
100 383 cars? Probably less don't you think by an early october scheduled build? I was thinking 100 never mind trans! Heck they only produced 272 fastback 383s autos in 69 according to resources.
I know I have heard this number before but I cant think lol How many fastback 383 4spd 69s ?

-
Back