What ratchet shifter are you using with a 518 46RE ?

-

robcuda

Reaction score
Hi,
Looking for recommendations on a ratchet shifter for a 518 46RE. 3 speed plus Overdrive.

Anyone using something you like? Lot's of info on 3 speed ratchets but not much on 4 speeds.

Thanks!
Rob

The 518 is not a 4 speed. It is a torqueflite 3 speed....same basic innards as any other 727 torqueflite.......with an ELECTRICALLY controlled OD hanging off the rear

The shifter "should" be same as any other TF unless they made the shaft different. You will however need whatever shift lever supplied with the shifter

EDIT......I did not mean to imply the trans is not electronic. If you truly have a 46RE and not an RH, then you will have a multi pin (more than 3 pin) connector pointing "vertical" to the rear of the shift shaft

Last edited:
I run a 42RH with a standard Hurst Pro Matic shifter and two switches on my shifter base that put overdrive and converter lockup either in automatic mode or off.
The RH trans uses a governor for shift timing and tells my trans when to shift according to road speed.

The RE transmissions are electronically controlled by a computer and aftermarket computers can be gotten for those to be used in older vehicles.
Everything I have EVER seen in an RE trans was they HAVE to be computer controlled, or the valve body changed to a full manual with OD and lockup controlled by switches.
This also means that to have it automatic, sensors must be added for the aftermarket computer so it knows what the car is doing at any given moment and controls the trans accordingly.

Last edited:
I run a 42RH with a standard Hurst Pro Matic shifter and two switches on my shifter base that put overdrive and converter lockup either in automatic mode or off.
The RH trans uses a governor for shift timing and tells my trans when to shift according to road speed.

The RE transmissions are electronically controlled by a computer and aftermarket computers can be gotten for those to be used in older vehicles.
Everything I have EVER seen in an RE trans was they HAVE to be computer controlled.
This also means adding sensors for the aftermarket computer so it knows what the car is doing at any given moment and controls the trans accordingly.
I was hoping to have manual control with a ratchet and then when place in standard drive the computer would shift as stock. So if I am going to keep my RE electronically controlled there is no way to use a ratchet shifter?

I THOUGHT I've seen "all manual" shift valve bodies for an A518/ 45RE. Do some searching.

Transgo sells a mod kit TFOD-3 which from what I understand is an all-manual conversion

I was hoping to have manual control with a ratchet and then when place in standard drive the computer would shift as stock. So if I am going to keep my RE electronically controlled there is no way to use a ratchet shifter?

I THOUGHT I've seen "all manual" shift valve bodies for an A518/ 45RE. Do some searching.

Transgo sells a mod kit TFOD-3 which from what I understand is an all-manual conversion

Sorry guys, I modified my post after you read it.
If you change to a full manual valve body the RE can be used, but you still have to control OD and lockup manually if you don't run a shift computer.

Everything I have EVER seen in an RE trans was they HAVE to be computer controlled, or the valve body changed to a full manual with OD and lockup controlled by switches.
This also means that to have it automatic, sensors must be added for the aftermarket computer so it knows what the car is doing at any given moment and controls the trans accordingly.
I always wondered about the OD in my 2003 Ram. It didnt feel like just an OD gear. Thanks for the info.

Sorry guys, I modified my post after you read it.
If you change to a full manual valve body the RE can be used, but you still have to control OD and lockup manually if you don't run a shift computer.
Hey TrailBeast, if you get a chance watch this video. It's a megashifter in a 87 Trans Am with OD. There are no details about install but it lead me to believe I could do something similar. You'll see the ratchet accounts for 4 gears. But I bet an 87 was pre computer controlled trans.

Hey TrailBeast, if you get a chance watch this video. It's a megashifter in a 87 Trans Am with OD. There are no details about install but it lead me to believe I could do something similar. You'll see the ratchet accounts for 4 gears. But I bet an 87 was pre computer controlled trans.

1995 was the last year of Chrysler hydraulic controlled.
The RH and RE both are electrically controlled OD and lockup, so the physical 4th position in the video doesn't apply to the Chrysler OD trans.

I used adjustable pressure switches to tell the OD and lockup when to apply, and it can do this because the governor in the RH series knows what the road speed is.
1-2-3 are normal like a 904 then governor pressure activates OD at 55mph and lockup at 75mph. (because the switches are adjusted to activate at each of those speeds automatically)
I can deactivate that by turning both switches off, and the trans acts like a normal 904 3 speed.
Or I can turn off OD only, or lockup only and it will shift 1-2-3-OD at 55mph or 1-2-3-lockup at 75 mph.
Then of course with the ratchet shifter I can manually shift 1-2-3 and then switch on OD at whatever speed I want manually as long as I am over 55mph.
Same with lockup but I have to be over 75mph for it to engage.

I used adjustable pressure switches to tell the OD and lockup when to apply, and it can do this because the governor in the RH series knows what the road speed is.
1-2-3 are normal like a 904 then governor pressure activates OD at 55mph and lockup at 75mph. (because the switches are adjusted to activate at each of those speeds automatically)
I can deactivate that by turning both switches off, and the trans acts like a normal 904 3 speed.
Or I can turn off OD only, or lockup only and it will shift 1-2-3-OD at 55mph or 1-2-3-lockup at 75 mph.
Then of course with the ratchet shifter I can manually shift 1-2-3 and then switch on OD at whatever speed I want manually as long as I am over 55mph.
Same with lockup but I have to be over 75mph for it to engage.
Thanks for the explanation and you've got a great set up. Well thought out.

Thanks for the explanation and you've got a great set up. Well thought out.

Thank you.
It took awhile to figure out what I could do with what hardware was available.

When I was first assembling it all I had OD and lockup both completely manual for testing before I put the pressure switches in.
Ever see a car idle by on cam lope at 45mph?:D
It was all pretty fun to play with.

I believe the mega shifter has a stop screw that if in, will lock you out of the fourth position, so you can use it on a "3 speed AOD". If you take the screw out, you could inadvertently try to push the selector lever passed first.

I believe the mega shifter has a stop screw that if in, will lock you out of the fourth position, so you can use it on a "3 speed AOD". If you take the screw out, you could inadvertently try to push the selector lever passed first.
Thanks for sharing your set up and link to the kit. I've printed out this kit to file, sounds like a great option. What year is your 518, is it a 46re that you converted? Thanks!

-
Back