What Rear End Is This??

-
Is it possible to swap the rear pattern back to 5x4 without swapping rear ends? Can I put new axles in it? Maybe chromoly for some extra strength. Gonna keep the slant six but try to modify it slightly.

Is it possible to swap the rear pattern back to 5x4 without swapping rear ends? Can I put new axles in it? Maybe chromoly for some extra strength. Gonna keep the slant six but try to modify it slightly.

Not with factory parts. You might be able to have some axles made and then you would have to deal with the brake drum issue. Much cheaper and simpler to get a 7 1/4 sbp rear end because nobody wants them.

Your other only possibility would be to have some custom billet aluminum adapters made.

Only the 360 cars got disc brakes and then the LBP standard that year, it was an option on all the other cars. Drums on the front mean SBP. So somewhere down the road the original rear gave up and somebody swapped it with a rear from a 73 up a body with disc brakes. They were probably stunned themselves when they got it all together and realized it was a different pattern. It could have come out of an identical looking 74 just with front discs. Too bad they didn't take the front brake setup when they were taking the rear axle.

put the matching 5X4 1/2" front disk brakes on it
you will be MUCH MUCH happier in the long run

put the matching 5X4 1/2" front disk brakes on it
you will be MUCH MUCH happier in the long run

Id really like to find a disc brake conversion for the front but they are almost 800 bucks. I wouldn't know where to start at buying it all piece by piece

-
Back