What ride height are you running?

-

skep419

5.9 Magnum 4 speed afficionado
Reaction score
I have a 69 dart and I have the front torsion bars jacked way up so the headers and pan don't scrape pavement (again). In the rear I have to use coil helper springs to make it sit level.

Doug's headers would be nice but not in the budget.

Would 90/10 shocks stiffen up the front enough?

Someone hand me some wood to knock on... but with Monroe Gas charged shocks in the front I have yet to smash a tube. I scraped one once, on a really bad road.

Anybody running the B&M deep trans pan? It hangs just as low as the headers. Thinking about making a skid plate

Shocks only determine how quickly or slowly the suspension will bottom out. The t-bars/springs determine whether or not it will or won't bottom out. If bottoming out the suspension, only sure fire cure is new t-bars and leaf springs. Springs on the shocks and high pressure shocks are only band aids that slow down the inevitable bottoming.

Shocks only determine how quickly or slowly the suspension will bottom out. The t-bars/springs determine whether or not it will or won't bottom out. If bottoming out the suspension, only sure fire cure is new t-bars and leaf springs. Springs on the shocks and high pressure shocks are only band aids that slow down the inevitable bottoming.

I have new t-bars but the rear springs are 10 years old. In order for the front to sit level with the rear the headers hit pavement

Someone hand me some wood to knock on... but with Monroe Gas charged shocks in the front I have yet to smash a tube. I scraped one once, on a really bad road.

I have the B & M pan on my 727 and CPPA headers. Clear just fine.

Well from the sound of it your trying to keep the front end high enough to not hit headers(fenderwells?) and keep it looking level at the same time, or close to it.
I have a huge issue with my 69 440 dart.
The pans/fenderwell headers both hit and the tires rubbed the headers. What i did, keep in my all my stuff is /6 suspension and I can handle a little more unfriendly street cars them some. But i cranked the torsion bars up allllllll the way and for me that solved the problem, it sat level.... Now my car also has the super stock spring set-up more or less in the rear,not sure if its the ss spring kit or anything but has been stiffend up and more on one side then the other,same theory just dont know if its the same springs in the magazines.. anyway. That got mine to sit level. But the problem for me was i like to run it on the track every now and again and the front end being maxed out ruined street ride and also took away all travel in the front and now it cant jump off the line, 90-10 shocks do make alot of difference on letting the front end down, i run it on 90-10 all day and the street and all my weight on each individual shock cant bring it down quickly but i can pick it up with one hand.
What I am going to do is run smaller tires in front and keep it just high enough to get it off the ground and away from the tires. Im also making the original header collector a (cut-out) for the exhaust and cutting a new flange on the inside of that hidden from the outside of the car and running exhaust back off that so the bend from the collector isnt there to scrape on the ground and the headers look (open) all the time. For the rear they sell ss kits and im sure others that specify how much taller and lower they get from stock... -+1,2,3 inches in the rear. They also have a old kit i have seen going around getting sold used that they dont make anymore by cal custom and its called a front end lift kit... a spindle lift kit that lets you jack up the torsion bars higher and keep front travel more or less which you loose without it and on top of that allignment is almost impossible with it tottaly jacked up. Bump stops also ment nothing for me when it was that high... the a-arms just wont travel any further when you go that high for it to mattter.. i cut mine out and they never touched, Hope this helps a little, any questions im here.

I have full length headman headers that hang low. I would like to take the helper springs out of the rear. After I take them out the rear of the car sits way lower than the front. If I lower the front to where it has roughly one inch lower than the rear bumps in the road cause the headers and trans pan to eat pavement. So what I'm looking to do is put larger bump stops in to hopefully eliminate the problem.

well thats one way but that would limit suspension travel... effecting ride quality i assume.
I would either do that or get a spring set-up that will lift the rear to sit it level... or maby even lower the front a little and get the ss springs that lift the rear +1-3 inches and cut the difference..

What ride height are you running?

Low, real low.... :-D

LCAtoFrameClearance1a.JPG

Update. Took coil helper springs and leaf springs out. A buddy of mine had ordered a leaf springs for his chevy truck that he didnt use so we are going to use them for the dart. It is at the machine shop getting a hole punched for the correct location as we speek. They will also be making me clamps.

Here is the plan of attack. The new leaf will be from eye to eye and it is twice as thick. The bottom two will be removed. Two clamps in the front still undecided about having a rear clamp.

leafspringsetup.jpg

I understand cost savings but spring pack orientation is not the same on a chevy (not sure about the truck springs)…….

Springs engineered for your car are not very expensive (even less for re-arching)…… And doing a job once correctly is always better than doing it over to correct errors from the previous attempt.

Anyway…. I am curious and interested in this thread so keep us updated.

17953_454410195572_561290572_10962673_4424188_n.jpg

new ride height (without the shock coil over helper springs)

1969 Dodge Dart GT with a 360 out of a 78 chrysler new stock cast crank, stock rods and bolts , speed pro hyper 4 valve relief pistons, comp xe284 hyd cam, mopar ductile rockers studed with crane adjusters (dont ask why I had to upgrade), ede heads mild port, ede air gap, 750 street hp dbl pumper, carter high flow mech pump, headman bomber headers, MSD PRO BILLET dist 16 base 34 total, msd 6al box, 727 2800 midwest converter, b&m mega shifter, 8 3/4 3.91 richmond gears.

-
Back