what rockers are these?

-

oldcarnut

Reaction score
i havent fired it yet,i can slide the rockers back & forth on the shafts 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch.there are additional holes drilled , not sure if these are factory or not , by the color they look like harland sharp. i got no paperwork with the car so im going by what i was told.inside motor is like new.340, x heads,airgap intake,mopar 509 hydraulic cam,rhodes lifters, adjustable pushrods,electronic dist, msd 6al box. i traded the eddy carb for a 770 holley.i pulled the plugs & valve covers today to coat everything with mystery oil & let it sit for a few days before i turn it over.i still need to clean out the fuel cell & flush the line.i just want everthing to go right before i fire it up, its been sitting under a carport in arkansas for a couple of years.69 340 singer,727,suregrip, its a really solid car.it still needs a full brake job,hopefully ill be driving it by the end of summer, thanx ,john

aluminum rockers 007.jpg

aluminum rockers 008.jpg

aluminum rockers 012.jpg

aluminum rockers 013.jpg

do the rockers have roller bearing that ride on the shaft?

harland sharp do...

is 1/8 the total play on the shaft...or ?

with that much play with the rockers on the shaft you might have the wrong spacers between the rockers...you should not have 1/8 play

i didnt take anything apart, i was just curious about the movement,they go 1/8 in either direction(except for one on the driverside),also the lack of spacers between the hold down area had me concerned.i dont want to be impatient just to fire it.

with a 1/8 gap...i would say you are either missing spacers or have the wrong spacers installed...

Judging by the pictures it looks liek you have the wrong spacers.

Normally the spacers are almost in contact with each adjacent rocker arm....and normally on an aftermarket set of rockers....the spacers are colored to match.....I could be wrong here but I think you need a set of spacers

here is a pic of crane rockers...and notice how the spacers are ..no gap...

also a set of procomp aluminum rockers....no gap

AUT_3002.jpg

Picture 410b.jpg

They appear to be Harland Sharps and the spacer/hold down collection is not right.

The best way to fix this is to yank the rocker shaft and remove the pushrods...keep them in order and put them back where they came from later.

Install the rocker shaft with no pushrods and only snug the bolts enough that you can still move the shaft fwd or aft with the tap of a screwdriver handle.
You will need to aquire a pack of shaft shims, a set of boneyard used spacers and the holddowns off a 3xx LA v-8.
With these parts you can play with your shaft and rocker locations. Have a pad handy and write down where you need what. You can play with spacer, clamp and shim thickness to get them just right.
Once you do, assemble the shaft with everything where you need it and bolt it on. If everything looks good, pull it and put the pushrods in and button it up...head to the other bank!
If it doesn't look good, add or subtract shims as required and get it right, It's pretty strait forward, you are trying to center each roller tip on each valve.
New holddowns are available and are uniform as opposed to the stamped stockers.

http://www.billetracingparts.com/Mopar Rocker Hold Downs.html
http://www.moparmax.com/tech/i_4-arm-1.html

thanx alot for the input guy's,it will probably be a while before i get this done , any insight to holes by the roller tips?

That engine is missing a pile of spacers and I'm willing to bet that the previous owner found that with the spacers installed and with the rocker rollers running centered (side to side) on the valve stems that the pushrods were rubbing on the side of the head thru hole making a tapping sound. Then he decided to remove the shims and let the rockers float thinking that with only 50% contact to the valve stem would be good enough and the tapping noise went away so must be good eh. Looking at the pictures it looks like most of the rockers are misalligned side to side and I wouldn't even run the engine till it's corrected.:angry7:

may be better off investing in a new set? Im sure you could pick up rockers,spackers,shaft,bolts and maybe pushrods in a kit for around $300?

I have no idea what they were thinknig with drilling those holes? do the holes look threaded? maybe they had a stupid idea of drilling holes and threading them and running in alan head set screws or something to gain extra adjustment? lol I have no clue.....but I would say maybe invest in a new set and KNOW its done right

i was told by the guy i purchased it from that he had put the rhodes lifters in, im not sure if he had run it though, a couple of rods look like they are touching the side of the head but i see no wear topside.im definetly going to take everything apart & re install correctly before firing.im just curious about the holes though, they are on the intakes only on both sides,i know ill need spacers & shims , im just wondering if the rockers with the holes drilled in them weakend them or not.i really dont have the xtra coin right now for another set,im so glad i just sold a nice set of adjustables for $75 oops.

thanx alot for the input guy's,it will probably be a while before i get this done , any insight to holes by the roller tips?

They allow oil to drip onto the roller.

Even if they were backyard drilled they would not weaken the arm...the stresses are on a different plane.

Low coinage means head to the boneyard and get all the stock spacers and take it from there.....

-
Back