What SB water pump is best and why?

-

WildCat

Reaction score
I plan on changing my water pump.

The one on my IRON HEAD 340 was for a factory AC car. My thought it was the better to use since I wanted to install ac.

After talking to Rick Allison from A&A transmission he told me the AC cars used a pump that was less flow and a smaller pulley to increase speed for air flow thru radiator

So to try and get it to run even cooler (already changed the March underdrive pulley) Plan on installing a new high flow pump. HELPED BIG TIME.

The radiator is a BE Cool aluminum made for A body and up to 650 HP engine

Was looking on line and JEGS site stated for one of the pumps I was looking at said to use the 6 blade pump with iron heads and 8 blade for aluminum.

So WHAT ARE YOU USING and does it keep your car temp steady in heat and idling in traffic

OH, I also have an electric fan

I plan on changing my water pump.

The one on my IRON HEAD 340 was for a factory AC car. My thought it was the better to use since I wanted to install ac.

After talking to Rick Allison from A&A transmission he told me the AC cars used a pump that was less flow and a smaller pulley to increase speed for air flow thru radiator

So to try and get it to run even cooler (already changed the March underdrive pulley) Plan on installing a new high flow pump. HELPED BIG TIME.

The radiator is a BE Cool aluminum made for A body and up to 650 HP engine

Was looking on line and JEGS site stated for one of the pumps I was looking at said to use the 6 blade pump with iron heads and 8 blade for aluminum.

So WHAT ARE YOU USING and does it keep your car temp steady in heat and idling in traffic

OH, I also have an electric fan
Your lucky I just answered the same question....if mechanical then this...

440 or small block....the stock 8 vane water pumps flowed as good as some of newer designs...if you can find a 8 vane with anti-cavitation plate that is the one to get...see if Milodon makes an 8 vane one for small blocks...Rick is real good with trannys and should stay there....no A/C six vane...with A/C eight vane

On my small block, hyper 360, I have the March under drive serpintine pulleys on a stock pump. The rad is new with shroud and viscous fan and the coolent is water only. So far, so good.

Shrouds are very good to have. They direct the fans air pull through the shroud concentrating the pull through the rad. past the fan.

On my small block, hyper 360, I have the March under drive serpintine pulleys on a stock pump. The rad is new with shroud and viscous fan and the coolent is water only. So far, so good.

Shrouds are very good to have. They direct the fans air pull through the shroud concentrating the pull through the rad. past the fan.
The best set up I had was a 7 blade fan from a Winnebago...I put a new heavy duty thermal clutch on it and ran a shroud...what a freaking difference...my 340 never ran so cool before..

Nicccccce! (7 blade???) A shroud makes so much of a difference sometimes, it's crazy.

I just installed a stock 8-blade reman on my 340 with air (air not working). I had a hard time finding a 6-blade with the correct case that didn't block air compressor installation. Anyway I am running a 160* t-stat and so far everything is running cool... everything is stock, fan, raditor, etc...

I run the flow kooler 8 blade water pump that comes with the anti cavitation plate on it. That and a Mr. Gasket high flow 180 thermostat with three 1/8" holes in it, Mopar Performance Viscous Fan Package, recored original three row radiator, stock non-AC pulleys, reproduction fan shroud. Car runs nice and cool.

Well I run a GMB water pump, hi flow 180* Milodon T-stat, and a rad is 3 row, hi efficiency core(3/8" on center instead of 1/2") and dimpled tubes. Runs 175-185 unless I sit in traffic in 105* weather, then it gets up to 190....

I just bought the Mopar Performance 6 blade aluminum water pump, and viscous fan package, and 180* Mr. Gasket High flow thermostat all from Summit. I will not be running a shroud, because I don't have one...lol. I would like one though...

Evans makes a water pump with a 8 vane impeller that has a 3/4 roller bearing and has the solid back. I've used theres on my small block stroker for 6 years works great. You will have to open the hole size on your pulleys and fan blade to 3/4 to use it though.
http://www.evanscooling.com/coolants/
On there site go to Evans Product Catalog to see some water pumps. Jayson

Thanks guys

where can I get one with anti cavitation plate?

-
Back