What should I do?

-

six-seven "S"

Reaction score
I've posted a couple of questions on FABO before and have always gotten great advice. I have a 67 Barracuda S with the original 273 Commando in it. I recently upgraded the intake (eddy performer) and carb (Holley 570 street avenger) because the previous owner destroyed the originals...

Now comes the time to start doing real work on it. The engine is in serious need of a rebuild (lots and lots of sludge and serious lack of performance), so I plan on beefing it up a little in the process. I am not a car tech guy, but love my car and want to learn so be gentle...

From what I have found out, I have a 8.75 rear end and a 904 trans. I would like to get 300+ out of the rebuild, which, I believe, is do-able.

Anyone have some combo suggestions? I have a feeling that a rebuild will actually cost more than a swap, but I want to keep what's left of the original equipment in it if possible.

Oh, yeah, 3.23 gears which I don't mind changing, but want to be able to drive it around town (and freeways) without any issues...

just keep bumpin it up......they will help ya.....anybody got anytricks for this car.....

The biggest issue is it's a V8. It takes more to rebuild a V8. Any V8...lol. So the fact it's a 273 has no bearing on the cost. The 383s and 273s suffer from a lack of decent piston choices. The best way to get power is compression, and more so with a small displacement. I would plan to keep the closed chamber heads but have a performance vave job done. I'd go with custom forged pistons because I can get what I want in any size, and they will never get hurt. But, that's a set of $700 pistons. You'll have easy $4K into byt the time it's running. Up grade the pistons, upgrade the cam, and you will easilly make 300 horsepower. Whether it can be done for $3K is another matter, and I'm inclined to say no. A stock rebuild, sure. but not a performance engine that has to make 1.1 horsepower per inch.

I said "HOPING!!!" - a man can dream, right

I figured I'd have to go higher, just trying to keep it in a budget. I could go to 4k if need be.... I've never done this before, so I really didn't know what to put for a budget.

Feel free to go nuts with what I could do. I need some guidance on what parts to buy for this thing. Otherwise I'll end up getting a bunch of stuff that doesn't match up or work together. Seriously, I'm a newbie....

-
Back