What should my timing be?

-

69413valiant

Reaction score
440 motor with the msd pro billet dizzy. Motor is 10.4-1 with a voodo cam with m1 mopar intake. Cam specs are

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 295/295
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 245/245
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .534/.534
LSA/ICL: 108
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 3000-6500

Running a 3500 stall and a 3.91gear. What should I set the timing at?

I dont know anything about big blocks, but I can offer this 24-36-56.Thats 24 initial at idle,36 all in power, and 56 cruise timing; thats total power plus vacuum.
Im pretty sure the probillet has no vacuum, so your loss if engine is for street.For track work, some guys run a locked dizzy at 34 to 37/38 depending on fuel.
Let the engine tell you what it wants.
Its more about giving it as little as possible to get the job done, than to give it as much as possible, just because it may have worked for someone else..
JMHO.

If all you have are the limiter bushings MSD provide, install the black one.

440 motor with the msd pro billet dizzy. Motor is 10.4-1 with a voodo cam with m1 mopar intake. Cam specs are

Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 295/295
Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 245/245
Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .534/.534
LSA/ICL: 108
Valve Lash (Int/Exh): Hyd/Hyd
RPM Range: 3000-6500

Running a 3500 stall and a 3.91gear. What should I set the timing at?

I run pretty much the same exact combo. Mine is 18/35 all in at 3500.

My 440 has 11.5 to 1 and a solid roller that's bigger than what you have. I have always found that hot rod/race V-8s have better throttle responce and off idle power when you run as much initial advance as you can with out getting pinging at throttle tip in. The other limiting factor of a high initial advance is starting the engine. You will know you have too much initial if you hear the ping or the starter has trouble cranking the engine. The next thing is the total advance. On my engine I run 20 initial and 38 total all in by 2000 rpm and it runs very good. I run 93 octane pump gas with Klotz KL 628 octane booster and am getting no pinging at all. I could probly back off the timing a little and run with out the booster but the throttle responce would not be as good. I have aluminum heads too.

A good starting point for a big block with that compression would be 16 initial and 34 total all in by 2500. Big blocks with compression that high generally don't like or need a hell of a lot of timing.

A good starting point for a big block with that compression would be 16 initial and 34 total all in by 2500. Big blocks with compression that high generally don't like or need a hell of a lot of timing.

x2

Have to agree with this. Especially all in by 2500 or a little later. The biggest issues I've seen with timing have been bringing it all in way to quick as is the case with an OTB MPP dizzy.

-
Back