What Size Drag Radials?

-

69dodgedart360

Reaction score
Heading out to the drag strip for the first time and want some advice on drag radials. Everyone seems to like Mickey Thompson or Hoosier. But I am unsure what tire size I should run. The Mickey Thompson 26x9x15 I know will be the biggest tire I can fit with my 69 Dart, but I am thinking about running the BFG 225x50x15 24" tall tire to help with my street gears (3.55). But I fear the tire will be too small and not help as much as the 26" MT. Anyone running this tire size at the track? I dont have a fast car, just an avg daily driver.
69 Dart full weight with fiberglass hood.
360 10:1
X Heads
750cfm Demon
Edelbrock Air Gap
Comp XE284 Cam
TTI Headers
727 Torqueflite 2400rpm converter w/shift kit ( I know, the converter sucks)
SS Springs

I'm running Nitto 275/50/15's on my 67 with no rub issues. I tried the BFG 295/50/15's but rubbed some. My ride has an offset shackle kit but no tub modifications.:burnout:
My rears are also 355's behind a 727.

Run the 235x 60x 15 Mt drag radial you can run it on a standard 7 in wheel with 4 1/4 backspace Ive run them and I have a friend running them on his Dart now.

I'm gonna give the 26x9x15's a try since I'm not using an offset shackle kit and currently running 245x60x15's on a 15x7 rim with a 4.25 backspacing. Hopefully it doesn't rub, and hopefully it helps me hook up real nice at the track. I have browsed some other threads and see that a lot of ppl run around 18-20psi and do a decent burnout to get them hot. I have an open 3.91 gear set but don't have the cash to buy a sure grip for it so the 3.55 will have to stay.

I run the 235/60/15 BF Goodrich drag radials on my 68 dart with plenty of room. They are getting replace with M/T. They spec 26 x 9 and I use steel wheel, 4.25 back space. I run 410 gears and trap at 5800 rpm. 18 lbs and no tire spin on SS springs. No need to heat them up on burnout, just enough to clean them off. Ran 12.8 at 105 last time out. 340 with small solid MP circle track cam, 235 @ 50, 480 lift, unported X heads, headers, air gap and 750 DP. 3800 stall 727 trans.

Attachments

• dart 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 409
GTSDUDE nice numbers! you wouldn't have any video of the way your car takes off do you? I am really wishing I had the money for a better converter and gears but I only have enough money for drag radials.

I don't think I have any video. I would invest in some sticky tires before anything else. You can get a good baseline and a good start to sort out your combo if you can get it to hook.

Attachments

• dart 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 392
UPS says they should arrive on Friday so we will see how it all works out. Funny, I got to talking with a friend about buying drag radials for the track and he says he wants to race me. Of course he has a much faster car (C6 Z06 Corvette). We will see what happens though, I am going next week regardless if he shows or not.

Biggest thing with drag radials is rim size. You want the widest rim that you can get in that tire.

Tires are here and fit with plenty of room on 15x7 steel wheels. Cant wait to go to the track for some fun!

Attachments

• 20150428_182704.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 361
They look good! I gotta invest in a new set too. I might try 255/60/15, they are an inch taller.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 310
I think 255's would fit for sure, today is the big day though. I am off to the track in a few hours and going to see how it goes. If I can go, get some runs in, and not break anything I will be happy. Hoping for a low 13/high 12 though.

Good luck! let us know how it goes.

Attachments

• dart 1.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 242
I have 255X60X15 mickey drag radials on my 68 dart. No modifications and running a 7" wheel with 4.5" backspacing.

That picture looks like you mounted them on the wrong side of the car. Take a look at the directional markings on the sidewall.

Yeah they were mounted backwards and had to change that. But my first time at the track went well. Didnt go as fast as I was hoping but was glad I was able to get in a few runs, not break anything, and learn from my car what I need to do next time out. Car wheel hopped like crazy during the burnout and could not get a decent launch no matter what. It currently just has stock springs with monroe shocks. I had MT Et Streets on it and aired them down to 18psi and launched from about 1500rpm.

-
Back