What size electric fan?

-
I'm pretty sure you will be pleased. I had the Zirgo ZFB16F 3000cfm on this car but since there is so little under hood space with the fenderwell headers it can't move the hot air out and would not keep it cool if I got into any traffic. This Taurus fan and shroud cools it with ease! Plus it was 35 bucks from the local wrecking yard. Here's some more photos and measurements for anyone interested.

Taurus fan dimensions are approx 18.5 x 23 x 4.75 inches, and 17" blades. As you can see there is some room to trim the edge and the motor being offset helps clear the water pump.

The Delta current controller is a really nice feature if used on a street car.

Attachments

• Taurus Fan Front.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 458
  • Taurus fan rear.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 447
ive got a 69 dart with a 340 stock radiator with a mechanical water pump will it clear?my motor is out of the car right now, i had my right leg amputed this summer so ive wasnt able to get it back in yet so thats why im asking for help.

One thing to remember with these fans is they pull a LOT of current. Like up to 35 amps on high. Be sure to include a fusible link in your wiring and appropriate size wiring so you don't experience a metdown or wiring fire.

I tried to find a link for them last night but no luck. They are a variable speed fan controller that runs the fan speed related to the water temp. I've had mine for several years and I'm not sure now if the guy still sells them. Brian Baskins is the guys name.
The phone number on my installation sheet is 408-379-8951 and the only links I find are these:
http://www.dccontrol.com/fk50p.htm
http://www.reuters.com/article/2009/09/09/idUS106932+09-Sep-2009+BW20090909

I know some of the rock crawler guys have been getting a new 45 amp variable speed controller from Flex-a-lite at Summit to use with the Taurus fans. (Just make sure it's not the older 30 amp max model)

ive got a 69 dart with a 340 stock radiator with a mechanical water pump will it clear?my motor is out of the car right now, i had my right leg amputed this summer so ive wasnt able to get it back in yet so thats why im asking for help.

it should fit, I have a mechanical pump with an electric drive kit and it clears fine.
sorry to hear about your leg, hope you are doing well.

Well, I got mine today and it doesn't fit. My own fault I guess; I should have measured first. I only have 3 1/2" from the waterpump shaft to the radiator. If the difference was only around 1/2", I could probably make it work, but not with this big of a difference. I don't know what's different about my car that it doesn't fit and fits on others, but it doesn't. I guess I'll either be sending the fan back or selling it.

Well, I got mine today and it doesn't fit. My own fault I guess; I should have measured first. I only have 3 1/2" from the waterpump shaft to the radiator. If the difference was only around 1/2", I could probably make it work, but not with this big of a difference. I don't know what's different about my car that it doesn't fit and fits on others, but it doesn't. I guess I'll either be sending the fan back or selling it.

Can you trim the "feet" of the shroud and gain that 1/2".......I guess with out that lip, you wouldn't have anything to attach it to the radiator though............

I could gain about 1/4", if I trimmed any more than that, the fan would hit the radiator. I even though about cutting the grill part of the shroud, but still couldn't get enough to clear it if I did that because the fan motor and water pump pulley would hit.

Thought it was said the motor was offset? I have a Jeep Cherokee fan on mine. It works okay, but I have to put a shroud on it, the fan didn't come with a shroud. It does pull alot of air. I believe I don't have my timing set right yet and it does start to get hot idling.

I have to put mufflers on the car, a neighbor 2 houses up was starting to get a case. So, I didn't play with it much, put it away for the winter.

I was watching this thread, I had thought about the Taurus fan, but I didn't have enough room either. I have an electric pump on mine as well.

The motor is offset, but not enough for my application. I even tried moving the radiator over another inch or so and still didn't get enough offset. Besides, on mine, it doesn't even clear the shroud, which I would be willing to do some trimming to if it was close, but it's not.

The motor is offset, but not enough for my application. I even tried moving the radiator over another inch or so and still didn't get enough offset. Besides, on mine, it doesn't even clear the shroud, which I would be willing to do some trimming to if it was close, but it's not.

One thing leads to another, I know this one well. How about an electric water pump? Would that fix the problem? $$$

I LOVE my HHR fan. It was $55 new on ebay. Flows a ton of air. Ive heard 3000 cfm . My car wont get over 190 or so in the BRUTAL humidity/ heat in the summer.

BB in 70 Dart . Never had any electrical issues--i run a stock alternator .

I LOVE my HHR fan. It was $55 new on ebay. Flows a ton of air. Ive heard 3000 cfm . My car wont get over 190 or so in the BRUTAL humidity/ heat in the summer.

BB in 70 Dart . Never had any electrical issues--i run a stock alternator .
what did you fuse that at, and do you know how much many amps it pulls for start up load?

i have an electric water pump on mine and electric fan setup. my setup is from northern radistor, they make a dual fan mounted ti a piece of sheetmetal with buikt in louvers, fits right in perfedt, they offer different sizes to fit your need, when i got mine , i got it from 4secondsflat website you may have to call and ask him but he was good to deal with and had the best prices anywhere, the kit worked great
:D

what did you fuse that at, and do you know how much many amps it pulls for start up load?

id have to go look , but i think its a 20 or 30a fuse. Not sure how many amps it pulls but ive never popped a fuse or had trouble . I use a generic 900ca amp battery and stock alt.

Hmmm. I had another post on here that disappeared. That's about the third time that's happened to me in the past week. Anyway, I got it to fit today by trimming the radiator support so I could move the radiator forward almost an inch. I still only have about 1/4" between the pump pulley and fan, but it should be ok.

Hmmm. I had another post on here that disappeared. That's about the third time that's happened to me in the past week. Anyway, I got it to fit today by trimming the radiator support so I could move the radiator forward almost an inch. I still only have about 1/4" between the pump pulley and fan, but it should be ok.

Good news. You headed out out to Barona this weekend?? A buddy of mine is having a Photo Shoot of his Nova out there tomorow. Full Tube Chassis Car is pretty bad azzz for a Chevy! It is Black and beautiful, nice stance too.

I don't know if this will help you at all, but:
The fan I plan on running is out of my 06 Dodge Magnum SRT. My radiator is 27x19 surface area not counting the tanks. The late model LX Hemi twin electric fans fit almost perfectly. When mounted the whole assy sticks out 4" from the radiator. I have no idea how much current this will draw yet. Hopefully that wont end my plans.

Here's some pics.

DSCN3709.jpg

DSCN3710.jpg

DSCN3711.jpg

Good news. You headed out out to Barona this weekend?? A buddy of mine is having a Photo Shoot of his Nova out there tomorow. Full Tube Chassis Car is pretty bad azzz for a Chevy! It is Black and beautiful, nice stance too.

No, still working on getting everything in and mounted, and have to finish with some wiring I started.

I have also found a ford focus dual fan setup will fit a 28 inch wide crossflow radiator with some minor trimming.I myself only had 3 1/2 from the rad to the waterpump.The pump fits in between the 2 fans.There are only a single speed but they draw alot of air threw the rad.

I realize this an old thread, but do you have any pics of how you trimmed your core support? I'm having similar clearance problems.

-
Back