What size front tire will fit?

-

abodyfan

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I have change over to disc brakes on my 68 Dart convertibe and also changed to 5-41/2 bolt pattern. I'm using Summit fast five wheel 15x7 with 3-3/4 back spacing currently there are 215 65r 15 mounted on the front and they rub on the front of the lower front of the fender. I have the torsion bars turned up to high. Need to turn them down to level car. So I'm wondering what size front tire will fit and what you guys are running.

A 195-60-15 may work for you. It should be a couple inches smaller. tmm

The lower front corner? Huh. The 215/65/15 is about 26" tall. I don't think it should take much to clear it, I'd guess that a 215/60/15 would be just fine, that'd be a 25.2" tall tire.

Actually kinda surprised the 26" tall tire rubs there. Not a ton of backspace, but on a 7" rim that's not horrible. And if it doesn't rub at the top of the fender lip, its just about the height of the tire.

FWIW there are 2 different front fender openings I have noticed on A bodies of varying years. One comes almost straight down in the front While the other is on an angle towards the front giving more clearance. There is an Inch more clearance at the bottom with the wider front fender opening. This is why some guys have issues and others don't.

215/65-15 tires are pretty high for the front of an A-body. That would be like a 215/75-14.. What is often used when running 14" is a 205/70, that would be close to a 205/60-15.
Since you have 7" rims I think I'd go 215/60.

Rim offset is your issue. You need a 4.5 Back spacing with a 15x7 wheel on a 67-69 Dart with the 73-up LBP Discs. Might get away with 4.25 Back spacing. My dad tried a 3.75" backspacing on a 15x7 rim of a 66 Coronet with newer disc brakes and they rubbed, and it has buckets of room compared to a 67-69 Dart.

I'm wondering what size front tire will fit and what you guys are running.

You don't have enough backspacing. I've tried mustang wheels successfully on mine and they are 8" wide but the backspacing is about 5 3/4"

i ended up puting 195 60R 15 and have plenty of room and also turned down the torsion bars to give it a good stance.

-
Back