What size oil pan?

-

MoparMcK

Reaction score
So I blew the 318 up in my Demon. I have been in the process of putting together a 440. I have learned the 699/187 oil pan is what I need to clear the steering. My main worry is running out of oil or low on oil pressure with this pan. I have heard I need more than 5 quarts to satisfy the motor's needs at higher rpms.

Details.
440 stock stroke and bore
Cast crank
Flat top pistons
Stock rocker arms
440 source heads
Torker intake
850 DP Holley mechanical secondaries
comps 21-224-4 cam
TTI 1 3/4" headers
9-1 compression
4 speed car
3.91 gears
street/strip

If I need a 6/7 quart pan. Which do you guys recommend that will work with the steering? Thanks in advance.

without answering your question, let me toss this idea out there: dual remote oil filters and maybe even an oil cooler
all that line, the cooler and an extra filter should ad a quart to your capacity easily
probably more if you can run two large filters

Still fine. A dual plane RPM intake might be a better choice.

Thanks guys. I will be starting out with the Eddy performer 440 intake I have. Mainly since the budget isn't there for the single plain yet. I will be curious to feel the difference between the two. I do understand the benefits from a single plain to a dual also. A local guy has a 63 Belvedere wagon 440. He just went from a M1 to the performer 440. Says he felt no difference. Cant wait til this is complete and driving the car again.'

Adding extra oil with remote filters,big filters and such does nothing since once the pan is dry all that oil stops moving.

-
Back