what size tire and backspacing

-

moparman111

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 1967 Barracuda with the factory spring locations. I have a factory 8.75 rear with Yukon axles with 11" brakes and a 4 on 4.5 bolt pattern. The car has the factory tubs and 1/4's. Of course I want to run 15" wheels. Can someone please tell me what size tire will fit along with what backspacing is needed? Thank you

I have 15x7 with 3 1/2 back 205 60 15 on the front. And 15x8 with 3 1/2 back with 235 60 15 on the rear. 68 Barracuda.

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 399
  • 011.jpg-1.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 393
  • 007.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 388
In the rear: 245/60/15 15x7 with 4.25 backspacing or 255/60/15 15x8 with 4.5" backspacing. Might need very slim spacer. 4.25 backspacing might be better but not very common with 15x8 rims.

IRRC, Yukon axles move the flange out about 1/8"-1/4" outward

9.65 or smaller section width will fit. Backspacing..I recommend you measure you own car for this. Since wheels now come in such small increment of backspacing (which is a good thing) and cars can vary a tad, measure this for yourself.

Rocco I am not exactly sure how. I am considering purchasing a set of older used wheels that are 15x7 with a 3 and 3/16 backspacing. What's the biggest tire (front and rear) I can run with that particular rim? Thanks

Rocco I am not exactly sure how. I am considering purchasing a set of older used wheels that are 15x7 with a 3 and 3/16 backspacing. What's the biggest tire (front and rear) I can run with that particular rim? Thanks

One size smaller than jaws has on his car.

IMHO, get the rims with the right or at least better backspacing.

Measure from the inner side of the wheel house to the brake face. The measure from there to the outer side of the inner wheel well.

IMHO, get the rims with the right or at least better backspacing.

this /\ /\ /\

So in y'alls opinion I am better off to wait and purchase them new?

So in y'alls opinion I am better off to wait and purchase them new?

If you can't buy the right backspace rim used than yes, wait and buy them new and get exactly what you need which will let you maximize the tire that will fit. Plus you'll have the choice to get your favorite rim.

Nothing I hate worse than tire rub ! Yes better to get the backspace correct the first time.

Mine rub witht he correct backspacing.. :-( But they look good ;-)

-
Back