What size tire using 15x6 wheel?

-

512Stroker

We are all here because we are not all there.
Reaction score
1967 Barracuda fastback with factory stock front suspension upgraded with front factory sway bar and factory lower control arms.
I want to use the only 15x6 Cragar s/s wheel 5 on 4 available on the front of my car.
The only back space they show is 3.375
What size BFG T/A can I use without rubbing?
Thanks in advance

Last edited:
Are you wanting to rotate or are you staggering the front and rear?
Staggered
I currently run a BFG T/A 275/60-15 on the rear
I want rid of the 14's on the front and run a 15 inch wheel

Last edited:
ima thinking the height is gonna be the problem
The rimwidth will work with 195s to 205s
But the height might be a problem, depending on how low your front end is. I think 25ish might be pushing it.
A 225/60-15 might be ~25.6
A225/55-15 might be ~24.7
A 205/60-15 might be ~24.7

A 205/55-15 might be 23.9
A 195/70-15 comes in around 25.7
A 195/65-15 is about 25.0
you could fit a 225 on those 6inch wheels, but to get the tread to run flat on the road, you will have to drop the pressure too low for my cornering style; in a turn the sidewalls roll under, and the tire loses grip in a hurry
Personally,I wouldn't be comfortable with so little rubber on the front of my 68 Barracuda. I have 235/60-14s(25.1 tall), on 6.75 wheels (also ~3.375bs), on mine and they are already too skinny for my driving style. I had to slow down for them. I run these at 28/29psi
I put 245s on custom 15x8 wheels on the front, but it was a lot of work to finesse it on there. After the tires wore off in a few weeks, I went back to the former 235/60-14s. Been running that size ever since.

On the stock front end parts, I think a 4" bs is the max, before the wheel weights start getting swiped off by the upper BJs.

Last edited:
A 215/60/15 will be 25.2” tall and can be mounted on a 6” rim according to the tire manufacturers specs. It should have plenty of room to the fender and the suspension.

Look at 215/65-15 (about 26” tall) on the 15x6 rim. Had that tire on 15x6 Keystones on the front (along with 255/60-15’s on 15x8 for the rear. Along with sidewall heights there’s also “bulge” to consider.

Look at 215/65-15 (about 26” tall) on the 15x6 rim. Had that tire on 15x6 Keystones on the front (along with 255/60-15’s on 15x8 for the rear. Along with sidewall heights there’s also “bulge” to consider.

26” tall can be an issue with the Barracuda fender. That lower front corner is more restrictive than the other body styles. The SBP and narrow rim help with that, but I think it’ll be close.

I prefer to have the front tires be between 25.5” and 26”, but I’m also used to wider tires as well and that makes some of those clearances tougher.

I have 15" Centerlines 4" Lug pattern (205.65.15 - 8x25.4) not sure of the offset, I can check it if you need

upload_2020-7-29_9-35-55.jpeg

upload_2020-7-29_9-37-0.jpeg

I'm looking at putting the exact same wheels, 15', on the front of mine.

Doesn't a smaller backspace cause issues with the front/bottom of the fender?

Isn't a 3.375 offset going to force you to get a smaller tire, not as wide? Not sure about tall.

I'd like to verify the backspaces I listed the thread below, but the one with less backspace, shiny chrome, sticks out too far, at least in person.

14x6 Cragars, 4.125 backspace, currently with 215/70/R14. Crusty, rusty.

14x6 Cragars, a smaller backspace, 3.75, currently with 205/70/R14. I noticed these are easier on the manual steering.

**Edit** I measured the shiny chrome ones again, the backspace is 3.25.

How to calculate tire size?

20200729_194210.jpg

20200729_194142.jpg

Last edited:
I run 225 60 15×6.5 back space up front, thats with 4inch back space, you probably can run 215 60 in the front with what back space you have

Excuse me, I need clarification. Op says the wheels he wants to use are OFFSET 3.375 but doesn't state clearly whether that is positive or negative, or inches or millimeters . Everyone commenting here assumes he means backspace. If that is what he meant, then head on! But offset is a legitimate but entirely different method of describing a wheel.

On a personal note, I DESPISE wheel companies that use offset to describe wheels. I can't be simply measured, it has to be calculated, and it can't even be calculated if the actual width of the rim is unknown. Please, backspace only! It can be determined exactly with just a straightedge and a tape measure.
Okay, continue !

Excuse me, I need clarification. Op says the wheels he wants to use are OFFSET 3.375 but doesn't state clearly whether that is positive or negative, or inches or millimeters . Everyone commenting here assumes he means backspace. If that is what he meant, then head on! But offset is a legitimate but entirely different method of describing a wheel.

On a personal note, I DESPISE wheel companies that use offset to describe wheels. I can't be simply measured, it has to be calculated, and it can't even be calculated if the actual width of the rim is unknown. Please, backspace only! It can be determined exactly with just a straightedge and a tape measure.
Okay, continue !
Here you go
It is the last wheel on the list.
https://www.cragarwheel.com/wheels/product-detail/series-61c-ss/

The 15x7 has more offset to the insde, than the 15x6. If you have clearance to the inside, to the upper control arm/ball joints or sway bar mounts, the 15x7 might actually fit better the the 15x6.

Last edited:
I saved these as a reference, but haven't found an exact example of the 15x7 Cragar on the front with the tire size.

Screenshot_20190713-112436.png

Screenshot_20200309-003032.png

20200804_115030.png

20200804_114943.png

20200804_115004.png

I saved these as a reference, but haven't found an exact example of the 15x7 Cragar on the front with the tire size.

View attachment 1715572788

View attachment 1715572789

View attachment 1715572790

View attachment 1715572791

View attachment 1715572792
Very nice great info
I currently run a 275/60-15 in the rear.
I am hoping to run a 215/60-15 in the front on the 15x6 Cragar wheel
It's gonna be close, I think it will work, only one way to find out.
What do you think?

This is the thread I looked through, not every page, need to find a 15" Cragar: Show your 5x4 small bolt pattern wheels!

In my case, 14" wheels, the taller/wider tire fits better, especially at the front bottom corner of the fender.
The backspace is perfect.

The same size wheel, smaller tire, smaller backspace, it's closer to the front corner, to the point that I'm not convinced a 215/70/14 would clear on this wheel.

I think the bigger backspace is the way to go, even if it means a wider wheel.

This makes sense to me: How to calculate tire size?

So that's where I'm at, and that's basically undecided. I was going to get new 15" Cragars all around, but got a set of sbp steelies for the rear, bought a set of steelies for the front but they have the same smaller offset.

I use this or similar site to check tire sizes and get a visual, although the visuals may not be exact, it helps.
Tire Size Calculator

I'm looking at putting the exact same wheels, 15', on the front of mine.

Doesn't a smaller backspace cause issues with the front/bottom of the fender?

Isn't a 3.375 offset going to force you to get a smaller tire, not as wide? Not sure about tall.

I'd like to verify the backspaces I listed the thread below, but the one with less backspace, shiny chrome, sticks out too far, at least in person.

14x6 Cragars, 4.125 backspace, currently with 215/70/R14. Crusty, rusty.

14x6 Cragars, a smaller backspace, 3.75, currently with 205/70/R14. I noticed these are easier on the manual steering.

**Edit** I measured the shiny chrome ones again, the backspace is 3.25.

How to calculate tire size?

View attachment 1715569797

View attachment 1715569799
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
That car looks like the one I bought new in OKC in 1968 .

Okay, continue !

but...... had you thought about 3.375 offset, on a 6" rim? is that even possible?
i do agree about listing backspace not offset. listing offset is about as useful as when people measure rear axles by the casing width, what about the variations in halfshaft size, brake drum/disc thickness etc. why not say wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face (or wmf for short). that's the measurement that you can work with.
neil.

but...... had you thought about 3.375 offset, on a 6" rim? is that even possible?
i do agree about listing backspace not offset. listing offset is about as useful as when people measure rear axles by the casing width, what about the variations in halfshaft size, brake drum/disc thickness etc. why not say wheel mounting face to wheel mounting face (or wmf for short). that's the measurement that you can work with.
neil.
I quite realize what a six inch wheel with that kind of offset would look like. Depending on which way it was offset , it would look like a dually wheel, ridiculously deep dish, or like a toronado/eldorado wheel from the sixties. It was just my feeble attempt to point out that technical terms matter, and an excuse to rant about "offset".
And i also agree with you about the rearend measurements. Other than suspension mounting points, it really only matters where the wheel bolts on.

Last edited:
-
Back