What stand?

-

67Dart440GT

Seriously Long Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Getting ready to start working on my 440 and am in need of an engine stand. Anybody using the harbor freight one? I don't plan on using it much after this motor but would like it to be strong enough to hold the 440.... any opinions? Thanks! :cheers:

I just bough the Harbour Freight HD foldable one - surprisingly nice and looks to be built pretty well. It was the more expensive one at around $130 or $150. DO NOT go with the cheap-o one that only has a single wheel in front. WAY cheap build quality, and DANGEROUS - I was moving a complete engine recently and it fell over - luckily I didn't get caught underneath it - even more luck my kids weren't anywhere around. Spend the extra $50 or $60 and get the HD one. Holds something like 2 tons, so a complete 440 w/ accessories is no problem. It aslo folds up like an engine hoist when you're not using it.

i have a cheap o stand with 1 wheel up front. it almost took my leg out more than once when i was rolling it with a motor on it. worked decent for my 340, but definetly not built for an off center slant 6.

That's kinda like the one I have, only mine isn't fold-able. I got mine at Harbor Freight as well, very nice piece.

33vc3tu.jpg

2qv75vb.jpg

120_0659.jpg

I have the cheapo HF one. But I just have a spear /6 on it. It bounces alot. but I don't move it around. I just put in corner of garage to keep motor off the floor. DO NOT BUY THE CHEAPO.....

I have the folding harbor freight stand, takes up very little room when folded, will hold any engine you can buy (save CAT 3000 series!). Even if you never use it again, you could buy for $120 and sell for $100.

I have the one from HF with the 2 wheels in front. Holds my 440 just fine. I put it up there fully dressed and dissassebled it. I will say it doesnt move easy but will roll.

Thanks for the input guys. I went to hf tonight and bought the heavy duty one. Got it all put together and just have to run to the hardware store for some bolts to mount the engine up. Thanks!

i built my own back in highschool

I happened to borrow that exact stand from a friend who bought it used and we never knew where it came from. Its an awesome stand. I now have that debate whether to go pick one up for a spare stand...

we have SIX harbor freight stands not a problem with a single one of them some are light weight some are heavy duty we have 440's 400's 360's 318's and even 302's on them and they all hold up great

I got a cheapo one, but I put 2 wheels on it at the front, braced up the upright, and it held a 400 BB Pontiac engine with accessories......thats all there is here, just cheap Tiawan or Chineese stuff like that.

I use harbor freights smallest one, its good up to 750lbs i think. Its great with my little jeep motor, works with the 318 but its kind hard to spin the motor. Never had it flip over on me.( Thank god)

I use the 4 wheel stands and for a 440 the crank is way up in the block making it top heavy when the heads are on making rotating it over a problem, have to center the camshaft up with the rotating head on the stand for best balance. Oh and the 4 wheels ones are more stable when torqueing heads, wheels locks on the better stands help for that but I always just roll mine up against a wall so it dont start squirming all over.

-
Back