What stops you from moving to another state ??

-
27 years in Jersey, 15 in Mesa AZ, just hit the 8 year mark here. I left Jersey prior to getting stuck there...aka a mortgage. Best advice anybody, thank you Aunt Kay, ever gave me....more before it is difficult. A mortgage, kids in school etc. Left AZ because had enough of the heat. And the crowd. And the pollution.
Will be dieing here. Not that I wouldn't mind moving. But funds simply won't permit. That and moving a fully loaded 1800 pound (empty) gun safe is a *****. I feel that we are nomadic by nature.
Folks will move for various reasons. Some logical and some not. For me paradise doesn't exist. I would love to live where it snowed year round....but considering that I enjoy (used to at least) riding my chopper....pulling the trigger on a few guns...that probably wouldn't be paradise after a short while.

Don't know where you could go to get away from stupid politicians. Maybe after the last election it could start changing slightly. I understand that people are moving to the urban areas of Colorado from California to get away. Then they try to change it into what they just left.
Yote
Yup, pretty much. While back lot of Commiefornia folks were looking out this way...or so I was told by a few Realtors

I hear it all the time....I want to LEAVE this stupid state!
For years, census figures have shown a population shift where people were moving further south and further west. In 1967, my parents moved from the Michigan/Ohio area and headed to California. They both had enough of the snow and wanted to raise the family in an area with more opportunity.
I've lived all of my life. I love the weather, I love the scenery.
I do NOT like the politics. I do not like the excessive traffic. So far, I have not reached my boiling point. I like my house and yard. I'd move, but where is it better ?
What about your family? I can get work anywhere, same with the wife. I just wonder where I could have the same weather and scenery without the idiot politicians. I love the Texas spirit. From what I have seen, the state looks barren and brown.

Economics.
And family. One has to consider more than your immediate family.
Adult children that have left home are a good support group in old age.
If not for those two items I could live anywhere I wanted too.
And I would probably move to the pacific northwest.
I loathe southern summers.
And there are some people issue here too.

Lived 52 years in N.Y always said i wanted to take it easy when i get in my 50's and go some where warm. cause my dad died when i was 10, he was only 42 Too many people work all there lives and retire then drop dead. "sry' but true
Well lost my job in 2015 , My buddy moved to Tucson AZ 10 years ago from ny telling me how it was nice here so i followed.
me and my wife's parents are sadly both gone so we decided it was a good move.
Been here going on 2 years this coming July. no more 6-7 month winters for me i'll take the heat any day of the week it's a DRY heat.
great school's great weather, the beach is 6 hours away. house taxes ny average $10k taxes AZ average 2k i can work on my cars every day of the year. it'd definetly a change of pace we've met a lot of nice people here also.

I admit I have always had the notion to do the things in life while young and able. so I did. I am sure I would have "retired" with more $ if I hadn't had that thought. no regrets.
so ay 68, I feel I have lived my dreams, but still strive to do the things physically I desire too. where we live has a lot to do with the pleasures we drive from life.

Lived 52 years in N.Y always said i wanted to take it easy when i get in my 50's and go some where warm. cause my dad died when i was 10, he was only 42 Too many people work all there lives and retire then drop dead. "sry' but true
Well lost my job in 2015 , My buddy moved to Tucson AZ 10 years ago from ny telling me how it was nice here so i followed.
me and my wife's parents are sadly both gone so we decided it was a good move.
Been here going on 2 years this coming July. no more 6-7 month winters for me i'll take the heat any day of the week it's a DRY heat.
great school's great weather, the beach is 6 hours away. house taxes ny average $10k taxes AZ average 2k i can work on my cars every day of the year. it'd definetly a change of pace we've met a lot of nice people here also.
So they shouldn't be looking for you to return to NY anytime soon?

Im a little late to this thread, but for the past couple of years me and the wife have been talking and researching. Our move is a bit more extreme we want move to the US Virgin Islands. Both of our family's are here in MN, but that isnt what is holding us back. The talks are becoming more serious about actually making the leap. I have a friend that is a native of St. Thomas and I've been seriously talking to him about life on the islands. I've been joining message boards for the islands and researching jobs. I think if I had more knowledge in starting my own business I would do really well on my own down there. It sounds like they have trouble getting experienced and reliable HVAC techs. I've been told I would succeed easily with my back ground and would probably get a good base of customers very fast. As for the wifes job she has an accounting background, we have also been told that she could start her own company cleaning up the mess that others left behind. The big thing that is holding us back is the fear of failure. We are scared to give up our secure jobs, sell everything we have, move down there and then not be able to make it, or just overall hate it.

Im a little late to this thread, but for the past couple of years me and the wife have been talking and researching. Our move is a bit more extreme we want move to the US Virgin Islands. Both of our family's are here in MN, but that isnt what is holding us back. The talks are becoming more serious about actually making the leap. I have a friend that is a native of St. Thomas and I've been seriously talking to him about life on the islands. I've been joining message boards for the islands and researching jobs. I think if I had more knowledge in starting my own business I would do really well on my own down there. It sounds like they have trouble getting experienced and reliable HVAC techs. I've been told I would succeed easily with my back ground and would probably get a good base of customers very fast. As for the wifes job she has an accounting background, we have also been told that she could start her own company cleaning up the mess that others left behind. The big thing that is holding us back is the fear of failure. We are scared to give up our secure jobs, sell everything we have, move down there and then not be able to make it, or just overall hate it.
if you guys have never been there before, take a vacation there and see it all first hand.
we all know there are NO guarantees n life. but sometimes just maybe, its better to try and fail than to never try,,, and always wonder "what if"??

if you guys have never been there before, take a vacation there and see it all first hand.
we all know there are NO guarantees n life. but sometimes just maybe, its better to try and fail than to never try,,, and always wonder "what if"??
We both have been there, but only on a cruise ship so basically we've visited the island for a total of 16 hours. You are correct though, it is recommended by everyone to do a pre move visit and live like a local for a couple of weeks or more. You are absolutely correct though about your last statement.

We both have been there, but only on a cruise ship so basically we've visited the island for a total of 16 hours. You are correct though, it is recommended by everyone to do a pre move visit and live like a local for a couple of weeks or more. You are absolutely correct though about your last statement.
How true that is. We have been to several cruises, but if you want to get the real picture of the country, do what the wife and I did in Cozumel Mexico. One year we rented a Jeep to see the rest of the country. No wonder Mexicans are flooding to the US. We witnessed the poorest people living in horrible conditions. It was sad.

How true that is. We have been to several cruises, but if you want to get the real picture of the country, do what the wife and I did in Cozumel Mexico. One year we rented a Jeep to see the rest of the country. No wonder Mexicans are flooding to the US. We witnessed the poorest people living in horrible conditions. It was sad.
It is sad Roy, I agree. Such beautiful countries and some of the poorest living conditions.

Right about now I'd love to see some sunny weather.
I moved from Missouri to SE Tx back in Nov, I had lived in Mo the last 38 yrs!!!! weather here today. ?? high 71.. yes above "average' of bout 60 ish... tomorrow 80. TOO HOT for FeB!!! ha.......
Texas?? go south 60 mi the Gulf, go West 60 mi, the Hill c ountry. here,, piney woods and HUGE lake, go further West desert, then WIDE open country too. and... not to mention city stuff!

I try to be a little more optimistic about where I live. Do I wish some things were different? Hell yeah I do. I try not to dwell on the negatives though because there sure are a TON of things I love about living in California as well. Those things, along with a great job that pays more than I'd probably get elsewhere keeps me firmly planted. Just remember, the grass isn't always greener on the other side. And as someone else eluded to, focusing on the negative aspects of life will do nothing but eat you up on the inside.

Are there any disadvantages to living in South Carolina or North Carolina as far as funky motor vehicle laws or goofy tax laws?
Would like to move out of this poverty stricken, salty, arctic winter sh*t hole of western NY, but not having friends or family in the area I'd like to move to kinda puts a damper on things.

Last edited:
We like it here (when that stopped being the case in CA, we figured out how to move out in '94)

I've lived in PA, OH, TN, HI, DE, NH, and NJ. Everywhere is different and comes with good and bad. Where you live in each state also comes into play.

For me it's very simple...find a community you like in an area that is already well established (future changed will be minimized) and buy a house in a neighborhood that fits your personality, with property that fits your needs and requirements. Make the life you want out of it the best you can and don't look back.

Often, the satisfaction with a place to live rests with you and your expectations.

Remember, "Wherever you go...there you are."

No matter where you go , that's where you are.
Lived in NJ , Washington,D.C>, OK, PA and recently retired to NC. Have friends 15 minutes away, live in a small community on my lil 1.5 acres on a dead end street and really loving it. Plus, I'm less then an hour away from Hot Heads Hemi research and racing. Hey Zigs. Glad to see you are still around.

Last edited:
Lived in NJ , Washington,D.C>, OK, PA and recently retired to NC. Have friends 15 minutes away, live in a small community on my lil 1.5 acres on a dead end street and really loving it. Plus, I'm less then an hour away from Hot Heads Hemi research and racing. Hey Zigs. Glad to see you are still around.
Yep still here. Saw a video of your Dart awhile back . I miss mine. Should have the new engine up and running this spring.

Are there any disadvantages to living in South Carolina or North Carolina as far as funky motor vehicle laws or goofy tax laws?
Would like to move out of this poverty stricken, salty, arctic winter sh*t hole of western NY, but not having friends or family in the area I'd like to move to kinda puts a damper on things.

in NC cars have to be 35 years old to skip annual inspection.
cars older than '96 have to pass annual safety and visual inspection.
cars '96 and newer have to pass inspection thru OBD port, check engine light cannot be on! most or all monitors must be "ready"depending on year.
car must pass inspection BEFORE license plate can be renewed!
trucks have to pay extra for "weighted" plate for towing trailer.
property taxes can vary a lot, on cars and homes, check before you buy! sometimes a neighboring city and or county will be considerably cheaper.
Other than that it's perfect here :lol:

-
Back