What stops you from moving to another state ??

-
We have lots of Californians coming up here to get away from " Liberal California" and yet they all seem to have DEEP enough pockets to pay cash for monster homes and buy up our back country 10,000 acres at a time. And they seem to bring with them the very lifestyle the were trying to escape.. I had some people stop in driving a Hummer with Cali plates and they wanted to buy another Hummer.... very superficial ... all they could talk about is how much they hated California.
They and their late 20s daughter just paid cash for big homes...
They must be doing something right in CA to build all that prosperity !

Others say they would love to move up here but couldn't reproduce the wages they earn down there.... and they are correct.

I live here for the outdoors.... Hunting , dirtbiking , skiing , camping.... other than my Mopars it's really all I want to do.
Is true . Have the same thing in Eastern wa. They like to come up here , its cheaper and for 6 months out of the year the weathers about the same but when they come up they bring all the liberal baggage with them and this is not a rant on Californians but if your moving to get away from that way of life , remember that when it comes time to vote.

Nothing is preventing the wife and I from moving. The more Oregon becomes California Jr. The more we think about getting the hell out of here.

Nothing is preventing the wife and I from moving. The more Oregon becomes California Jr. The more we think about getting the hell out of here.
I've been thinking the same thing. Wa is still divided , West side is liberal ,, Eastern Wa some what conservative but changing fast. I do like Idaho ,my family was from Northern Idaho originally but even that's changing.

seems to me, in general, rural areas are mostly conservative and urban/suburbia mostly liberal.

my rule of thumb is living wayyy out on the country, and have NO neighbor within 5 mi. ( 10 mi is better). ha

Well since the wife and I have decided to split, and I gave her everything. I bought myself a shack in the Philly hood.Sheriff sale. Needs a little fixen Up. Windows doors, plumping, roof. Etc.
Close to everything. Lots of on the street free entertainment, shootings, fights what not.
Just a place to sit back and enjoy the last of my golden days.
Where ya at, Ray? What part?

To answer the original question,
From my front porch.

008.jpg

007.jpg

I've read from many here, complaining about the new residents bringing problems with them. Lets admit it...People can be idiots, self absorbed, clueless idiots. What sensible, humble person moves to another place and tries to make their environment change to suit them?
I hear it often...Jerkoffs that move next to an airport and then complain about the noise. These morons are somehow related to others that buy houses near railroad tracks. Have these egotists ever heard of..."When in Rome, DO ad the Romans do."

I've read from many here, complaining about the new residents bringing problems with them. Lets admit it...People can be idiots, self absorbed, clueless idiots. What sensible, humble person moves to another place and tries to make their environment change to suit them?
I hear it often...Jerkoffs that move next to an airport and then complain about the noise. These morons are somehow related to others that buy houses near railroad tracks. Have these egotists ever heard of..."When in Rome, DO ad the Romans do."
If that held true we would all speak English here in America.

There's a big dairy farm about 4 miles from me. It has been there for close to 100 years, and is a family farm. About 15 years ago, there was a fancy new subdivision built about a mile away. Some snooty lady called the owner of the dairy farm, complaining that one of his "Dairy farm flies" had gotten in her house! His response? "Lady, this farm has 300 head of milk cows. Like most any animal, when they eat, they poop. We clean up the poop, and put it in the recycle tank to turn into fertilizer. 300 head of cows produce all of the poop a fly could ever dream of. All I can say is...if the flies are leaving here to come to YOUR house, YOU MUST BE PURTY NASTY!" Click! :icon_fU:

A couple things, first off, I seem to take so much time making decisions that by the time I figure out where I'd want to move too, I'll be too old to move, or dead.
Second, my wife, she moved from Jersey, to Colorado, to San Fran, back to Colorado. She absolutely loves Colorado and there's no way I'd ever get her to move.
On my side, I've lived in Boulder County Colorado my entire life, kind of sick of it and would like a change of scenery, but like I say, it will never happen. Hell I'd be happy just moving to a slightly bigger house in the same area, but that will probably never happen either since wifey is retired, I don't make a lot of money, fair, but not a lot, and our current little house is paid for. Neither of us is wanting to get back into another home loan just to have a bigger place. I do get tired of living in a 750 sq ft house, with a one car garage, but at least its ours.

I hear it all the time....I want to LEAVE this stupid state!
For years, census figures have shown a population shift where people were moving further south and further west. In 1967, my parents moved from the Michigan/Ohio area and headed to California. They both had enough of the snow and wanted to raise the family in an area with more opportunity.
I've lived all of my life. I love the weather, I love the scenery.
I do NOT like the politics. I do not like the excessive traffic. So far, I have not reached my boiling point. I like my house and yard. I'd move, but where is it better ?
What about your family? I can get work anywhere, same with the wife. I just wonder where I could have the same weather and scenery without the idiot politicians. I love the Texas spirit. From what I have seen, the state looks barren and brown.

My musings at 57 years old...if you have family, friends and a locale that is "home," think through about the effects of moving away. Are the "politics" really so onerous to your everyday life, or are we getting caught up the wave of dissent? There may very well be idiot politicians wherever we move. My Dad made the decision in the middle of raising his children to move the whole family away. He was happy but none of the kids felt at home in a place so different from what we knew as home...after high school everyone left and moved all over, and now there's no place that feels like home. Sure, life is good, but I do envy people who live in a community where their family is known, where people watched you grow up, where you have cousins, aunts, and uncles, grandparents, family friends, where you have memories attached. Anytime my siblings and I want to see each other, it is a major trip, and we have really only a few hours to spend together. You may find later on it becomes a lonely feeling.

There's a big dairy farm about 4 miles from me. It has been there for close to 100 years, and is a family farm. About 15 years ago, there was a fancy new subdivision built about a mile away. Some snooty lady called the owner of the dairy farm, complaining that one of his "Dairy farm flies" had gotten in her house! His response? "Lady, this farm has 300 head of milk cows. Like most any animal, when they eat, they poop. We clean up the poop, and put it in the recycle tank to turn into fertilizer. 300 head of cows produce all of the poop a fly could ever dream of. All I can say is...if the flies are leaving here to come to YOUR house, YOU MUST BE PURTY NASTY!" Click! :icon_fU:

Same here . We have old established dairy farms in the valley. As new people move in around them ( Californians , Seattlelites etc) they complain of the smell , they protest to the EPA. The EPA adds more restrictions. One dairy I know of the Government forced them to put in their own sewer plant , just about did the owner in.

When I bought my house 4 years ago my Realtor whom is the cat's *** told me she loved this house but was skeptical about what could show up at the Rental home beside me due to the size of it..... Me being stupid and not paying attention I have really special people beside me now..... So why do I put up with it? The same reason that prevents me from moving..... My parents. Plain and simple.... Someone needs to be around the harass them and keep em' going lol...

However even that is now questionable. So get that variable out of the way and we will all head for sun and warmth. I can get a job anywhere because I have people skills and am special lol.....

JW

I grew up here, helped clear it and make it what it is today. Of course we have tornadoes and I got wiped out by an F5 in 1998 but I can't stand cold weather so I have no desire to move. I visited my sister in Marina del Ray, Ca. and when I got to her place and looked around I told her if someone told me I would have to spend the rest of my life there the sun would not set on my a$$. I can pull out my driveway and there is 1/2 mi straight asphalt

A couple things, first off, I seem to take so much time making decisions that by the time I figure out where I'd want to move too, I'll be too old to move, or dead.
Second, my wife, she moved from Jersey, to Colorado, to San Fran, back to Colorado. She absolutely loves Colorado and there's no way I'd ever get her to move.
On my side, I've lived in Boulder County Colorado my entire life, kind of sick of it and would like a change of scenery, but like I say, it will never happen. Hell I'd be happy just moving to a slightly bigger house in the same area, but that will probably never happen either since wifey is retired, I don't make a lot of money, fair, but not a lot, and our current little house is paid for. Neither of us is wanting to get back into another home loan just to have a bigger place. I do get tired of living in a 750 sq ft house, with a one car garage, but at least its ours.
When you retire, a 750- sq ft house is perfect! Now just build you a 10,000 sq ft garage!

When you retire, a 750- sq ft house is perfect! Now just build you a 10,000 sq ft garage!

Unfortunately our lot is really small also. We already built a garage in the back yard, 1 car, 16x20.
Looking back I should have used up more of the back yard and made it a 2 car, but there would have been no yard left.

Wow! Thanks for the timely post Kern Dog! This is exactly what I am going through at this very moment. The wife and I have both been out here for nearly 20 years(Los angeles). I'm from Oklahoma and she is from Ohio. We have a plan to leave in 1-2 years. She has run a company for many years and her boss/owner is retiring and selling in a short time. I do freelance lighting work in the film biz(yeah, I know......)

I can't wait to leave the LA area. It drives me crazy. Way too crowded, traffic sucks and everything is super expensive. Nothing against my friends out here it's just not for me and as I get older, I have less and less patience for it. It is nice to race whenever you like, though.

Three years ago, we bought our first house and it has increased in value by nearly 30%. Totally insane.

I told the wife I'd go anywhere she wants as long as it's NOT in a large city. Our best friends are near Portland, so it looks like we're headed to Oregon in a year or two. Sorry in advance to my Oregonian friends. Lol. I know the Californians are none too popular up there. Remember....I'm an Okie! Don't worry though, we'll be out in the sticks somewhere not bothering anyone.

Just want a little bit of land, a shop and some quiet neighbors(for a change). Good luck to all the others trying to do the same.

Unfortunately our lot is really small also. We already built a garage in the back yard, 1 car, 16x20.
Looking back I should have used up more of the back yard and made it a 2 car, but there would have been no yard left.
Funny you would say that. We have a local guy here that builds metal buildings, and on the back of his business card it states, and I quote "You show me a man that built to large of a shop, and I'll kiss his ***"

Wow! Thanks for the timely post Kern Dog! This is exactly what I am going through at this very moment. The wife and I have both been out here for nearly 20 years(Los angeles). I'm from Oklahoma and she is from Ohio. We have a plan to leave in 1-2 years. She has run a company for many years and her boss/owner is retiring and selling in a short time. I do freelance lighting work in the film biz(yeah, I know......)

I can't wait to leave the LA area. It drives me crazy. Way too crowded, traffic sucks and everything is super expensive. Nothing against my friends out here it's just not for me and as I get older, I have less and less patience for it. It is nice to race whenever you like, though.

Three years ago, we bought our first house and it has increased in value by nearly 30%. Totally insane.

I told the wife I'd go anywhere she wants as long as it's NOT in a large city. Our best friends are near Portland, so it looks like we're headed to Oregon in a year or two. Sorry in advance to my Oregonian friends. Lol. I know the Californians are none too popular up there. Remember....I'm an Okie! Don't worry though, we'll be out in the sticks somewhere not bothering anyone.

Just want a little bit of land, a shop and some quiet neighbors(for a change). Good luck to all the others trying to do the same.
Don`t get me started. I was in cal. for 4 yrs. !!

Grew up in Illinois, moved to Missouri my senior year. (Dad retired and wanted to live in the Ozarks) except for a few brief stints in Arkansas, and Texas, have lived here since '70. Can't think of anywhere I'd rather live. Besides that, I have my son and the two boys I posted earlier.

-
Back