What street tires do folks recomend?

-

dartley

Reaction score
Just a friendly hello and a question about tires.

I'm open to suggestions as to good all season high performance (non-drag) radials. I've been to Tirerack and I am attempting to narrow down the offerings. Looking at BF Traction T/As and Continental ContiExtremeContact for starters.

Just a friendly hello and a question about tires.

I'm open to suggestions as to good all season high performance (non-drag) radials. I've been to Tirerack and I am attempting to narrow down the offerings. Looking at BF Traction T/As and Continental ContiExtremeContact for starters.

Yea BF Banana skins are a good riding tire.

Terry

I have Nitto 450's on 17" rims, and they ride great!

Michelin Pilots get *mega*-ratings on TIRERACK.com.

Currently very happy with NITTO 555s.

May try the Michelin Pilot series next time around.----------8)

255/45/17 and 295/45/18 nitto 555's nice tires!

sym4.jpg

michelin pilot sport have superior traction compared to other tires and will wear faster. most exotics have the michelin pilot sport cup 2 due to they give the best performance.

For a inexpensive tire with decent all year performance and good wear, I like the BFG T/A radial tire. It doesn't have the longest life, but have found it predicable in performance, handling and wear rates.

I currently have Cooper Corba Radial G/T's on my Magnum and have found they do not perform as well in; Brakeing (Allmost wrecked the car) handling (Rear breaks loose easier) The wear life is long. Thats part of the trade off. Longer life, less performance in the turns and braking.

I have had Michilens (sp) before on my other cars and found them to be very good tires, but the side walls gave out and cracked quick.

I have had Michilens (sp) before on my other cars and found them to be very good tires, but the side walls gave out and cracked quick.

Our 2000 Dodge minivan came from the factory with Michelins. The sidewalls were cracked & looked bad long before the tread was worn out. Because of that I bought a different brand when I replaced them, but now those have been replaced with Michelins. Figured I'd give them another try. So far I'm happy with them but they've been on for less than a year. Time will tell how the sidewalls hold up.

Nittos are probably out simply by size ... the closest I can get to 225 60R15 seems to be 225 50R15, which has too small a diam and I will just burn more fuel and wear out my engine faster.

I like the look of the 15" ralleys and will probably stick with them. The Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S (High Performance All-Season) looks like the best choice at this point - unless I do go with aftermarket 17/18" rims (I don't like the look of anything larger than that on a car - even on a new car).

In that case I might look into American racing wheels and Nittos possibly.

And although I rarely drive the car in bad weather, I don't want to be caught out either - it has happened to me, and the way the weather is increasingly unpredictable, all the more so. So I WON'T be going with summer only tires.

- - - -
PS: For those of you who have gone to 17/18" aluminium rims, have you found that they help performance in any way in real world driving (as opposed to autocross) ?

PPS: One thing that is VERY important to me is a tire that WILL RESIST wandering and that WILL HAVE good on-center feel. These older cars in my opinion do have good steering when the wheel alignment and box are set up well, but need all the help they can get on center.

I seem to have the best luck with BFG's I have had Goodyears and other brands but seem to get the longest life out of the BFGs on all the cars I have had across the board

Thanks for all the feedback thus far.

I have BF Goodrich T/As on the car now, but they are either or almost summer only tires. I've been pretty happy with them, but they are old. Because I do not drive the car too much, there is still plenty of tread on them, but the rubber is getting old and a bit hard and so performance (NOT TO MENTION SAFEY, sorry, don't mean to yell ;-) has gon down somewhat, though the sidewalls are not noticably cracking - and this after about 12 years.

BTW - I did not take note of it being a Michelin thing, but now that I think back about it, my former '92 Spirit came from the factory with Michelins and when they wore out I replaced with same. Because I used the car as my DD, they were TOTALLY shot all way round by the time the tread wore out. I liked them because they were quite, gave very reasonable all weather traction and great tread life (like 45K on each set, or more). But as mentioned, the sidewalls were all dried out and cracked after about 6 years.

So you see, I don't care as much about tread wear because it's unlikely I'd wear down the tread unless the wheel alignment goes bad. But I do care about rubber life (read: no cracks).

I don't think I want to go with a cheap tire (like the Kumhos I have on my Concorde - which perform quite well but only give me about 20K miles on the tread). But I don't need a very long lived tread either.

As I said, I want good all weather handling, good on center feel and strong sidwalls/non cracking. I might just end up with these:

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...re1=yes&place=2&speed_rating=H&speed_rating=V

Thanks again, and sorry about being so wordy. ;-) Regards to all,

-
Back