What temperature rise should i expect when i turn the AC on?

-

Clelan

Inferno Red Duster
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
74 Plymouth Duster with Factory AC stuff inside and 86ish Dodge truck components undrrhood. Only other thing worthy of note is a nice big aftermarket cross flow condensor infront of the factory 26" rad recored to 3 core.
When driving around with the AC off, it warms to 165 on my good Autometer electric temp gauge and stays there in all conditions. Even idling in traffic at 95°f outside temp.
When driving around with the AC on it creeps up to 195 and stays there in all conditions.
My question is, is this an acceptable temperature rise for an AC system? The car will be very cool inside even with no tinted glass anywhere at that hot of temperature.

Please share your experience on this matter.

Cley

20230524_065317.jpg

Me 15-20 degrees F. Nice car that a charging station?

Cley, do you have any issues with fuel percolation when you heat up your engine and underhood while running your A/C?

I'm kinda going through this now with Gladys. Although I cannot give you any concrete numbers, as all I have is the factory C_____H gauge here is what I am experiencing since getting the AC working. Normally, she runs right smack dab in the center. With the AC on, and running down the road, she is a tic and I mean a SMALL tic above the middle. In town though, stop and go, she starts creeping up. She got to about 3/4 the way up today before we left town and got back on the road and then she dropped right back to a tic above the middle. I added an AC condenser fan rated at 2400 CFM. She has an aluminum 2 row radiator.....but.....that's where the problem lies. She needs more radiator. She'll get one when I run into a sack of money. If I had to "guess" I would say she goes from about 180 with the AC off to probably around 220 at the most so far with the AC on. No boiling over into the overflow tank, so she's not what I call over heating, but still hotter than I want her to be around town. Hope that helps somehow.

Gotta be a first... someone worried about 195F op temps. I'd be more worried about why my car only ran 165!

Gotta be a first... someone worried about 195F op temps. I'd be more worried about why my car ony ran 165
On no you didn't!

I can hear the comments now.

But I agree too cold for the clearances designed into the engine UNLESS the engine was machined / designed to run at that temp.

It has a 165 thermostat in it. That's why it runs there. Not sure what the stock thermostat was, but that's what I usually run. No reason, just always done.

Cley

That seems fine for outdoor temps around 95F. Remember, an AC system moves heat from the interior to the condenser, and also the "heat of compression". Then it has to be rejected to the ambient air, right in front of the radiator. I'm trying to remember if you could get AC with a 4.10 axle ratio back in the day.

If you're concerned about the thermostat - next time it's out for a flush, or if you have a duplicate - measure the opening port diameter, vs a high flow like an EMP/Stewart. More flow= more cooling.

Depends on the OD temp AND HUMIDITY. Even though animals (humans) feel worse in muggy, humid weather, the fact is that humid air holds and can hold more heat value, so the radiator/ condenser can DISSIPATE more heat into humid air than dry air, the temp being equal

Gotta be a first... someone worried about 195F op temps. I'd be more worried about why my car only ran 165!

Some people never catch on. 165 (if it’s tuned correctly) will make far more power.

My concern is the 30 degree creep with the AC on. 10-15 degrees is about normal.

He may need some more water pump (and fan) speed.

-
Back