What the heck, another "what'll it run" thread

-

Fast01

Reaction score
I know it's a hard thing to predict and there are many variables that will affect e.t., but I figured "what the heck" I'll post up and see what I get.

My car's nearing completion, so here it goes. 1968 Barracuda fastback, mini-tubbed ladder bar car with 28-11.5/15's, Dana 60 with 3.73's, GM 4L80E with full manual valve body and brake, PTC custom twin clutch lock-up converter with 3000 stall, tubular k-frame with QA1's front and rear, full roll cage. The engine's 517 c.i.d. based on the "B" platform, fairly mild with 11.3'ish to 1 compression, lightly massaged Perfromer RPM heads, small solid roller .613/.613 262/262, Victor 383 with a FAST type TBI and 96lb. injectors running alpha-n. Dyno'd at 638hp @ 5600 and 671 ftlb. @ 4400 as a baseline. No tuning's been done....yet.

What is the cars weight nd rear suspension set up?

(Yea yea yea, I kow, I seen it.....)

Oh, also is the wife going for a ride in it. (Say I said hello!)

I say 9.90's or 10.0's either way you'll kick my but good luck out there and fun.

Hmmm, maybe I'm a little bit optomistic, but I was thinking top of the 9's....9.80ish. Although, bottom of the 10's will certainly put a smile on my face!

Rumble, I'll give you a call when she comes home. I've got a few questions for ya in regards to the stock stuff I removed.

You got the motor but not sure if you have enough gear, but I don't know what the gearing in the trans is either so maybe that makes up for it.

Skypower, I geared the car so I wouldn't run out of motor before the end of the track in 3rd gear. I could put some more gear in it, but I think I'd have traction problems with the amount of gear I'd need to keep it in the power range in 4th gear. The spread in the 4L80 is 2.48, 1.48, 1 and .75, so it really doesn't make up for it. It's essentially the same gearing as a 727. Plus, those 4.250 stroke cranks build piston speed real fast and turning it too far beyond 6000-6500 is asking for trouble. Honestly, I think 6500 is pushing it.

Sounds like your playing pretty smart, make a few passes and see how she does then you can adjust form there. With a ladder bar car you should be able to get all the traction you need I think if you look real close you can probably get a 29 inch tire under there which might help on the other end and allow more gear for a better 60 ft time. You might have to notch the front of the wheel well, but it should be do able without too much hassel and work, thats what I used to run on one of my old cars. 29x10.5 x15 worked very well, it was auto car with a 727 but it was a small block car.

-
Back