What the heck is this?

-

Sportstiger

Reaction score
Hey guys, new to mopar A body’s.
Has anyone ever seen this set up on a 904? Had no lockdown linkage was going to install a lockdown cable and ran into this. Any info on this BS set up would be appreciated. Has a 318. Thanks!

IMG_4075.jpeg

IMG_4072.jpeg

Hey guys, new to mopar A body’s.
Has anyone ever seen this set up on a 904? Had no lockdown linkage was going to install a lockdown cable and ran into this. Any info on this BS set up would be appreciated. Has a 318. Thanks!

View attachment 1716214863

View attachment 1716214864

If you’re trans has been modified to full manual then its fine like it is with no (throttle pressure) accessories.

If it’s an automatic shifting trans then you MUST have that hooked up and working or you WILL burn up the trans.

The simplest way of getting it hooked up is to use a cable control, but you will need to source the lever either way.

Most go with Locar for the cable setup, but I have had a non Locar on my car for 6-7 years with zero issues.
(Way cheaper)
I have the Gearhead kit.

IMG_5242.jpeg

IMG_5241.jpeg

Last edited:
I don't see a kickdown lever at all. There should be a small arm clamped to that vertical shaft with the flat on it.
That’s what I thought! thanks!
If you’re trans has been modified to full manual then its fine like it is with no (throttle pressure) accessories.

If it’s an automatic shifting trans then you MUST have that hooked up and working or you WILL burn up the trans.

The simplest way of getting it hooked up is to use a cable control, but you will need to source the lever either way.

Most go with Locar for the cable setup, but I have had a non Locar on my car for 6-7 years with zero issues.
(Way cheaper)
I have the Gearhead kit.

View attachment 1716214869

View attachment 1716214870
Thanks for the info! The previous owner liked to drag race I was told. Could this be a result of that?

Only if the car has a manual valve body with no provision for automatic operation.

My valve body is like that.
It has been modified to a reverse manual valve body, and the throttle pressure lever isnt used in this particular case.
The shaft you show doesn't appear to have had a lever on it for a while because of the rust.
If you can talk to the previous owner, or someone who may have rode in the car, see if they remember it needed shifting to change gears.
If drivable, with the un-knowns, don't boot it in case it fries the trans.
A reverse manual shift will have 1st gear with the shifter in Drive, and won't shift to 2nd till you move the shifter to "2".
It won't shift into High till shifter moved to "1",.
If you move shifter to "1", with a manual valve body, it will be in, - and try to move in high gear, and have difficulty moving the car from a stop.
That's the overview .
Don't go for a long drive, or "boot it" till you figure this out .
Get it running, see what you find, let us know.
Good luck .

Last edited:
That’s what I thought! thanks!

Thanks for the info! The previous owner liked to drag race I was told. Could this be a result of that?

The simplified answer is if you have to move the shifter for it to shift at all, it’s probably a manual valve body.
I agree about the pin sticking up not having a lever on it for a long time, so it may very well be a manual shift race setup, which is common.

If you put the rear up on stands and see how the shifter works you won’t hurt the trans if we are wrong.
The problem comes from putting a load on the trans with its pressures too low to hold the clutch packs and bands from slipping.
This burns them up real quick.
Up in the air keeps it from hurting anything.

Oh, and Inertia asked me to remind you not to throw it in park while the wheels are spinning.:D

Last edited:
My valve body is like that.
It has been modified to a reverse manual valve body, and the throttle pressure lever isnt used in this particular case.
The shaft you show doesn't appear to have had a lever on it for a while because of the rust.
If you can talk to the previous owner, or someone who may have rode in the car, see if they remember it needed shifting to change gears.
If drivable, with the un-knowns, don't boot it in case it fries the trans.
A reverse manual shift will have 1st gear with the shifter in Drive, and won't shift to 2nd till you move the shifter to "2".
It won't shift into High till shifter moved to "1",.
If you move shifter to "1", with a manual valve body, it will be in, - and try to move in high gear, and have difficulty moving the car from a stop.
That's the overview .
Don't go for a long drive, or "boot it" till you figure this out .
Get it running, see what you find, let us know.
Good luck .
Thanks for the info it makes sense!

Thanks for the responses! This site has so much useful information. There’s always someone on here that has been there and done that. Great site!

The simplified answer is if you have to move the shifter for it to shift at all, it’s probably a manual valve body.
I agree about the pin sticking up not having a lever on it for a long time, so it may very well be a manual shift race setup, which is common.

If you put the rear up on stands and see how the shifter works you won’t hurt the trans if we are wrong.
The problem comes from putting a load on the trans with its pressures too low to hold the clutch packs and bands from slipping.
This burns them up real quick.
Up in the air keeps it from hurting anything.

Oh, and Inertia asked me to remind you not to throw it in park while the wheels are spinning.:D
Thanks, I have it on Jack stands now. I will check that tomorrow! Thanks Trailbeast!

-
Back