What The......

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
I'm redoing the kh calipers from a 68 barracuda and the last half I get to has these steel rings on the outside. So how do the boots fit on these? There is no ring on the inside of the housing. Everything else is the same as the other half's I've put together and the pistons were in nice and tight had to use the air trick to get them out. Appreciate any help (again).
DSC_0094.JPG
DSC_0094.JPG
DSC_0095.JPG
DSC_0096.JPG
DSC_0097.JPG

Pretty sure the steel ring goes shoulder up and creates the groove for the outer ring of the seal like the left bore in the last picture.
The inner lip of the seal fits in the groove in the piston, and the piston seal goes down inside the bore in that groove.
The rings might have been missing on the other caliper.

Is that what you meant?

If I recall on the other 3 halfs the lower lip of the boot fit into a second groove above the seal. The lower lip on the boot is smaller in diameter then the top. They fit inside the housing this was the first with these rings.

If you officially had 65, early 66, 4 piston calipers, the dust boot is retained by the use of those "rings"
You can tell if you have later calipers, if there are two grooves in the bore of the caliper.
One groove to seal the piston, and the top groove for the dust seal.
Early calipers have one groove in the bore, for the piston seal, and the dust boot "ring" is on the top of the bore.
The dust boot seal goes around the ring, holding it in place.
Dust boots are somewhat different between the 65-66 ones, and 67-72 ones.
67-72 ones can be used on 65-66 calipers by cutting off the lip of the boot, where it would be in the groove of the caliper.
But official 65-66 boots won't work the other way around on 67, 72 calipers.
Possible you have mix matched caliper halves from different year calipers.

After taking a closer look at the pictures of your caliper(s) you have the "early" style, design.
Nothing wrong with that, as they all work.
If your running into problems with the dust boot seals, you can get "kits" from any Mustang restoration, vendor, of your choice on the internet.
But they have to be 65-66 kits.
Mustang, and Mopar, Kelsey Hayes calipers are basically the same things, except how they attach the brake flex hose to the caliper.

Last edited:
Wait,what!?
You had to blow the pistons out of the caliper bores.
They are supposed to fall out by gravity, with the bleeders removed.
If they are that tight, how will seal-retraction pull the pistons back to release the pads off the rotors?

Wait,what!?
You had to blow the pistons out of the caliper bores.
They are supposed to fall out by gravity, with the bleeders removed.
If they are that tight, how will seal-retraction pull the pistons back to release the pads off the rotors?

You are mistaken.
Pistons DO NOT fall out of their bores by gravity.
Low pressure air volume, enough to get pistons out of their bores, are one way to do it, or pumping them out hydraucially, with the brake line hooked up, and or, there are special tools made to remove pistons out of the calipers.
Various methods, whatever works for the mechanic doing the job, or what method he feels comfortable in using.

There is no ring on the inside of the housing. Everything else is the same as the other half's I've put together and the pistons were in nice and tight had to use the air trick to get them out.

As I wrote that; you are right.
Let me rephrase that;
Without the special o-ring in the bore, the piston should fall out by itself,with the bleeder cracked, or the second piston out.

I was thinking the only way "nice and tight" applies would be if the this was during reassy; cuz once the ring goes in, they are always tight!

Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks guys for all the info, I'm going to try cutting one of the new boots to match the one I took off and see what happens. Kind of odd that only one of the half's had these rings.

-
Back