what to bring when looking at a non-runner?

-

DartorDemon

Banned
Reaction score
So i found another duster to go look at. I've gotta call the guy in a few hours to see if i can meet him on wednesday(assuming its still there). The downside is that this one doesnt run. According to the ad, it ran 2years ago. its a little slant 6/auto car.

Right now i'm thinking a battery from my 6cyl jeep is about all i'll be able to do on the spot. Does anyone have suggestions for what else i should bring?

Even if it won't run i'll probably still buy it and tow it to home since its a really clean body for the right price, but it'd still be nice if i could spend a few minutes tooling with it and get it to fire up and limp home.

gas can with some fresh fuel, starting fluid, a few basic tools, spark plug socket, screwdrivers, points file, jumper cables,

Extra rubber fuel line and clamps, in case you have to fire it up off the gas can, due to gas toooo old.

I squirt bottle of gas to fill the carb through the vent tube. That way the carb is full right off and no cranking is necessary.

ok cool, i'll try to ad those to the list. Hopefully the fire ext. wont be needed, but i'll have to grab one just in case.

Oil "if it's low" a new ballast resister just incase, a small floor jack and a pair of tire's "not knowing how far the drive is, Couple gallons of water and a box of pepper if the radiator has a small leak, and if you have an extra starter lay'in around grab it up,
I would remove the fuel line from the carb and pump some gas in a jug and see if any trash is there to stop it from running and get it out before you start the /6.
So I would add a fuel filter to the list :-D
Do you know how to hot wire and by pass the ignition witch ?
I am sure you will pull a plug wire and check for a spark so you don't waist your time and flood out the cylinders and plugs.

Be careful and pay him for the car before you start working on it and get it running for him, I did that one time just to have the parent come outside and say the car is not for sale any more :angry7::angry7: True Story

...and a box of pepper if the radiator has a small leak ...

memike,
I've heard about using pepper from an old mechanic I know. He says to add 2 tablespoons. Does it really work on a small rad leak?

I've also heard to drop in egg whites for a head-gasket leak.

Be careful and pay him for the car before you start working on it and get it running for him, I did that one time just to have the parent come outside and say the car is not for sale any more :angry7::angry7: True Story

I was gonna mention that too. If the op gets the car running the owner might raise his asking price.

Wylde1.

Oil "if it's low" a new ballast resister just incase, a small floor jack and a pair of tire's "not knowing how far the drive is, Couple gallons of water and a box of pepper if the radiator has a small leak, and if you have an extra starter lay'in around grab it up,
I would remove the fuel line from the carb and pump some gas in a jug and see if any trash is there to stop it from running and get it out before you start the /6.
So I would add a fuel filter to the list :-D
Do you know how to hot wire and by pass the ignition witch ?
I am sure you will pull a plug wire and check for a spark so you don't waist your time and flood out the cylinders and plugs.

lol, i'll make sure i pay first. lol

and worse comes to worse i'll just tow it. From the pictures it looks like a fair clean starting point.

Throw out the idea of dropping a chevrolet in it and you should be good to go.

actually my plan was to do an SBC thats cleverly disguised as a mopar engine.

i swear, people just wont let that die. Who'da thought people would get so butt hurt over the idea of taking the good from one brand and the good from another to create a great car.

i swear, people just wont let that die. Who'da thought people would get so butt hurt over the idea of taking the good from one brand and the good from another to create a great car.

Dude, what's not good, Great engines, transmissions, diffs. and BODY STYLE!

Not running may be in your favor. If you have a trailer and can get it on the trailer and get it home, you'd be much better off not trying to get it running right then and there. Just yank it and get it home for as cheap as you can. The price may go up or the deal may fall through if the car is running.

I went to look at a foreign compact car for a female friend of mine. We were told it didn't run and the brakes were frozen and couldn't be moved. A few minutes with a battery and some tools and the car was running. A quick blow on the drums and the brakes were freed up. Then the mom comes out and kills the deal for a $125.00 piece of crap. I was a little pissed and should've charged them for my time and knowledge, but I just took my battery and told them to keep the P.O.S. They called my female friend a couple days later and said she could still buy the car if she wanted!!! She just told them to keep the P.O.S or call the junkyard!!!

Get it home before you do anything with it, Geof

Not running may be in your favor. If you have a trailer and can get it on the trailer and get it home, you'd be much better off not trying to get it running right then and there. Just yank it and get it home for as cheap as you can. The price may go up or the deal may fall through if the car is running.

I went to look at a foreign compact car for a female friend of mine. We were told it didn't run and the brakes were frozen and couldn't be moved. A few minutes with a battery and some tools and the car was running. A quick blow on the drums and the brakes were freed up. Then the mom comes out and kills the deal for a $125.00 piece of crap. I was a little pissed and should've charged them for my time and knowledge, but I just took my battery and told them to keep the P.O.S. They called my female friend a couple days later and said she could still buy the car if she wanted!!! She just told them to keep the P.O.S or call the junkyard!!!

Get it home before you do anything with it, Geof

Thats a good point, and that is probably why i'm gonna buy it before i try to tinker with the car. Or maybe just see if the car turns over with a fresh battery then buy it. Afterall it is a 6cyl and in the kind of shape where it doesnt look like much of a kids car. If it's anything like the 258 6cyl in my jeep, nothing short of submurging the engine should stop it from running...err, then again that didnt stop mine either. lol

prior to finding this car, i had made the decision that anything i bought had to be a runner(due to living in an apartment), but for the price(under 1000$), i would have the money to quickly find a 318/360 to throw in there. i spoke with my folks a bit, and it seems like i could keep the car at their house as long as it isnt there for too long.

nothingbutdarts- there is nothing really wrong with mopar engines/trannies except the LSx based chevy's make power and get surprising economy. Plus they've been made for close to 15 years now, so the engines are dirt cheap. It was an idea i kicked around and inspired a ton of hate.

well i have some possibly good news, i got an email back from the seller and the car is located in a tow yard. Which explains a lot about my questions. Apparently they took it in as a running vehicle, parked it for 2 years and he supposedly hasnt even tried to start the car since.

I'm calling tomorrow morning to see if i can meet him on wednesday. Plus i wonder if i could haggle him into paying the asking price if he delivers the car to my folks house.(since i live 15min away)

memike,
I've heard about using pepper from an old mechanic I know. He says to add 2 tablespoons. Does it really work on a small rad leak?

I've also heard to drop in egg whites for a head-gasket leak.

I was gonna mention that too. If the op gets the car running the owner might raise his asking price.

Wylde1.
I have never herd of the egg for a head gasket But
Yes 8) A few members here counting Small Block has dun it and Creed's dirt track car had a place where a small rock or something hit it and was squirting out the front and it closed it up and never returned after pouring a small container of black pepper in it

I bought a 67 Coronet 500 years back for $200. I wanted the trunk trim for my coronet 440 ( 500 has same as RT)

The kid that bought it had some friends that were to help him work on it It had been running then quit.

So i paid the $200 loaded on trailer. When I got it home I put new points in it (they were in glove box) and within 5 minutes of getting it home i was driving it off the trailer.

Since it is at a wrecking yard, they know cars, GOOD LUCK, they also know what it is worth.

I always take battery jump pack, air compressor, tools, fluids and some parts like points.

I have put in more than my fair share of points on the side of the road. Match book and screwdriver, I'm good to go.

-
Back