What to clean gas tank with?

-

70DartMike

Too many projects
Reaction score
The gas tank in my Dart has old gas in it, at least 2 years old. I'm going to drop the tank and drain it, to install a new sending unit. Question - is there anything I can put in the tank to clean it? Or do I just put new gas in and hope my filters don't get clogged?

After the tank is out of the car.
I remove the sending unit and let the tank dry out.
Next I fill it with water and let it set for a few hours.
I load it up and haul it to the car wash and clean everthing out I can with the high pressure.
When I get home I put about a quart of pea size gravel in it, tape up all the holes and shake the crap out of it. This takes some time.
The I use a shop vac to get all the gravel out.
Another trip to the car wash and wash it out with clear water.
Final vacuum with the shop vac and inspect.
If the tank is good it nornally looks like new inside.
I have never had to do but once but if it is still crudy do it all over again.
I have heard of people using rice too but never tried it myself.

pressure wash it, a new tank is a good price if you need one, but if its not rusty and can be cleaned dont bother buying a new one

After the tank is out of the car.
I remove the sending unit and let the tank dry out.
Next I fill it with water and let it set for a few hours.
I load it up and haul it to the car wash and clean everthing out I can with the high pressure.
When I get home I put about a quart of pea size gravel in it, tape up all the holes and shake the crap out of it. This takes some time.
The I use a shop vac to get all the gravel out.
Another trip to the car wash and wash it out with clear water.
Final vacuum with the shop vac and inspect.
If the tank is good it nornally looks like new inside.
I have never had to do but once but if it is still crudy do it all over again.
I have heard of people using rice too but never tried it myself.
the gravel trick works well for minor rust and flakes done it many times myself

the gravel trick works well for minor rust and flakes done it many times myself

I have one it on cars that have been stored 20+ years and had great results. I don't see a reason to buy a new import tank that is generic for many years when I have a factory tank in my hands. Some cars they don't reproduce tanks for either.

I have one it on cars that have been stored 20+ years and had great results. I don't see a reason to buy a new import tank that is generic for many years when I have a factory tank in my hands. Some cars they don't reproduce tanks for either.
The tank I bought was made in Canada so yeah it's imported but it was VERY good quailty. Also my old tank had a small hole in it also. When I dropped the tank it looked realy bad inside. I figured it was getting thin in other places too. This '65 is my daily driver to & from work so didn't want to chance it.

Many of the replacement tanks do not have an expansion tank built in. With a full tank of fuel there can be enough expansion to run fuel out past the filler cap and all down the side of your qtr panel. Do a search, this has happened to many folks. One fix is to drive the car for 10 miles after filling the tank, before parking the car.

I'd like a new tank, but after my $12,000 body/paint and $9800 340, and lack of a job, funds are tight.

I'll try what you said Okla, thanks.

I've done a few tanks in my time, all with the same method....

Go to the hardware store and get yourself a one gallon jug of Muriatic acid, or pool cleaner as it may be called. Dump the old gas out and spray the inside out with a garden hose. Then dump in the muriatic acid in and cork up the filler neck and sending unit holes. Swish the muriatic around for a few minutes and let it sit, then do it again, and again until your're satisfied that the tank should be clean inside. Then open the cork and dump out the acid into a pail and return it to the jug. Spray out the tank with the hose again and dry it either with the wife's hairdryer or compressed air.

The acid will neutralize any flash rust in the tank, loosen any heavier scaly rust and will also etch the inside of the tank and allow it to completely dry and not rust again. Muriatic isn't dangerous if handled with a little care, and is water soluable so it works well for this application!! Thats how I do it!! Geof

i did my tank i used a chain and then sealed it the inside of the tank works fine

For those considering Muratic Acid I will post the following.

Muriatic Acid is diluted Hydrochloric Acid. Wear gloves and eye protection during use. Have good ventilation, and dont mix with other chemicals or a poison gas could be produced. Don't use in an enclosed area. Make sure if you get on your skin you wash it off thoroughly and wash the area for some time. This stuff works well, but can cause serious eye, skin, and lung damage. Be careful.

I have used the muriatic acid also with good results. Rinse out very well a couple times. Then I used a leaf blower blowing into one bung of tank with the tank sitting in the sun to dry it out completely. Did that 6 years ago with one tank and no rust problems since.

I'd like a new tank, but after my $12,000 body/paint and $9800 340, and lack of a job, funds are tight.

I'll try what you said Okla, thanks.

spectra preminum, there canadian made and there not bad for price, didn't realize you had a new engine
don't cheap out on a fuel tank and cause issues on a nice looking car that works like crap because of fuel issues

spectra preminum, there canadian made and there not bad for price, didn't realize you had a new engine
don't cheap out on a fuel tank and cause issues on a nice looking car that works like crap because of fuel issues

I'm not cheating out on a tank, the tank is good, I just didn't drain the gas soon enough and now I want to get use out of it.

I have actually used sand with water, and it does the same thing (scrubs the inside with abrassive)
Muriatic acid is great for any rust, but won't touch the old fuel residue.

I'm not cheating out on a tank, the tank is good, I just didn't drain the gas soon enough and now I want to get use out of it.

Damnit, pulled the tank and drained it.. Surface rust on the top side, I wire wheeled it and holes go right through. New tank price through my auto store is $275 with my discount. Looks like a new tank is what it'll be.

Try Rock Auto Parts. That's where I got everything for mine. Spectre tanks are the good ones.

-
Back