What to do with a floppy unibody?

-

AussieDart

Reaction score
Hi Guys,
I have started work on my next project which is a 1975 Australian Chrysler ute or 'truck' as you call them in your part of the world.
It is a unibody construction. Our 1970s Chrysler products have a lot of similarity body wise with what you produced in the States back then.
The problem I have is that the state of the body is worse than I thought it was ie it is floppy as the rockers are toast and there is less of a floor than I thought. The previous owner pop riveted a lot of panels in place, but that's another story.
Obvioulsy I need to 'stabilize' the body before I can start any restoration and was wondering what ideas you might have for this?
At this stage my plan is to run a couple of beams under the car from side to side and jack it up to try and level the car out as much as possible.
Thankfully the jacking points at the rear and front of the ute are solid enough to do this.
Once I have done this I will then have to work out some way to further align or tweak the body before finally welding in some steel to brace everything firmly. So that's my plan so far and I would really appreciate any ideas you may have. Has anyone had a similar situation before and how did you deal with it?
Appreciate any feedback.
Regards,
Ron
Sunday 1.jpg
sunday 2.jpg

gotta treat it like a convertible
find a service manual //to get your measuring points or a frame rack...
I would measure and see if it is SQUARE//block it up//recheck//start with making a set of sub frame connectors/square the door frames with tubing and get busy with those rockers and floors to tighten that puppy up OR if you are racing, roll cage it and tie everything together...

that is a cool ride I'd 340 it //"ramduster"-"cuda-up":lol:

Last edited:
gotta treat it like a convertible
find a service manual //to get your measuring points or a frame rack...
I would measure and see if it is SQUARE//block it up//recheck//start with making a set of sub frame connectors/square the door frames with tubing and get busy with those rockers and floors to tighten that puppy up OR if you are racing, roll cage it and tie everything together...

that is a cool ride I'd 340 it //"ramduster"-"cuda-up":lol:
Hey Jazak, thanks for the feedback. I had not even thought of subframe connectors. Sounds like a plan is coming together.

Hey Jazak, thanks for the feedback. I had not even thought of subframe connectors. Sounds like a plan is coming together.

Possibly also support bars from the firewall, across the shock towers and down to the front frame rail.
Something like this.
GXoLnI5c4Mm0ueLep9QOthsHWm1F-YatgLTpg2Cvx2mI3Imj4uNJpHItDpv46I_ji95lTg9SNNNuiUe-foUS2q54pv6Thh0c.jpg

And replace the rocker panels that are thin/damaged with new as much as possible.

look at US Car Tools frame stiffening components - they won't replace having reasonable panels installed, but once the unibody is OK they will significantly strengthen the whole body.

-
Back