What to do with my gas tank?

-
I just did one a couple weeks ago with some roof rubber a buddy had leftover. I had the old one in one piece, to use as a template. the rubber seemed a little thin, so used pliobond to glue two layers together and then a few lines of same to glue to the tank. Looked good, too bad nobody will ever see it with the tank on the car. Sorry no pic due to whether was gettin ugly that day and I was in a hurry to get it back together.

Heres a pic of the tank on car. Don't mind the straps hoding a tarp on (have not fixed the window leaks yet) This is an old tank. I wire brushed it with a drill and fine steel brush wheel. Then painted cold galv, but did not like the look, so sprayed with Krylon stainless steel and topped with Rustoleum clear engine enamel.

Also was able to get the original style grommet that has a wide flap against inside of tank from local dodge dealer. Can't find reciept at the moment, but I think they only hit me for about 10 bucks. Less than some of the aftermarkets available.

Attachments

• tank.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 175
Stuff dries in florida but there must have been holes in his trunk to have spilled water on the tank

No rust holes. There is a factory hole w/ plastic body plug in the bottom of the spare tire well. His plastic plug was missing, cracked, or simply leaked. There is a matching depression on top of the fuel tank that is great at holding water until it rusts thru. He was carrying spare water in the trunk that leaked. Dad and brother spent all morning removing the tank. I eventually had to instruct them. Instead of fixing it right, they tried epoxy, so it leaked again in a few months and my brother sold the car. As most people, they were not fix-it guys and wouldn't buy the right tools or parts to do a job right. Nice-looking Duster w/ racing stripe, but a slant six so wouldn't have been valuable, especially not then in the 80's.

I know this is too late for this thread but I make tank pads from a vynle and rubber composite. I have sold several on here and buyers are very happy with them. I have one on my dart works very well.

Attachments

• 002.JPG
    87.4 KB · Views: 160
-
Back