What to do with new motor?

-

SRT_DSTRHOLC

Reaction score
What Should I do with the cooling system for a new motor? Or what did you do with your cooling system when you broke your cam in? Did you use distiled water? or Tap? Did you use water Wetter? or radiator fluid? All and Any help is welcomed

I just used 50/50 water and anti-freeze.You should,nt have any problems as long as all your cooling system parts are working proper(fan,fan shroud,rad,hoses and heater core,Thermostat)Let it idle and keep your eye on temp. gauge.It should,nt go past 180 degrees.My 2 cents..Good Luck

I use a 50/50 mix of green anti-freeze and water and a can of water pump lubricant. Some say the latter is not needed. I've always used the WPL with a complete cooling system fill. Over the years, I've had maybe one water pump failure.

I did the same thing with my 360 but I also put in one of those flushing kits in the heater hose that your garden hose connects to. It gets all the crud out of the bottom of your block like rust and 30 year old casting sand. I had a nice sized pile on my driveway when I was done.

I was thinking of just using water, so if it leaks im ok. Then after cam break in fill it up with radiator fluid

I do belieave I´ve read that antifreeze fluid helps to prevent the coolant to over heat. Please correct if I´m wrong.

Yes I believe you are correct, but this would just be for camshaft brake in

I don't understand why you would want to do that. When I fired up my new motor with new cam I used 50/50 mix and I was done. I fired the motor and kept the RPM at 2200... temperature started going to 200 degrees and I shut off. Let it cool down and fired it back up until I got 20 minutes with motor ran at or over 2000RPM. Coolant in the water helps hold heat so the heat will make its way to the radiator. Use a big fan in front of your car if you have one while doing the cam break in.

It was done by a fellow member just incase there was spils or anything

You can check for leaks before starting the motor. I filled my 360 through the thermostat hole in the intake before I put the thermostat in. It's a good thing I did because I forgot the small bolt that is behind the outlet on the waterpump. Talk about a last minute pain in the ***.

mullinax95 is right, 20 mins at 2200rpm on a virgin motor gets pretty hot. Paint, gaskets, and sealer all start to cook, smoke and smell really weird. Antifreeze also acts as a lubricant for your waterpump.

It was done by a fellow member just incase there was spils or anything

I mean yeah you could do it either way actually. I didn't have any leaks or spills to worry about because I double checked everything anyways. Either way you need to watch that temp gauge, and oil gauge. Keep the temperature below 200 and keep the motor revved over 2000 RPM for at least 15 minutes to get the lifters spinning and that's all there is to it. After it is all said and done get you a radiator coolant tester (floating balls type) to determine you freezing point of the coolant water mixture. Depends mostly where you live.

Coolant raises the boiling point, but water dissipates heat better/faster.

Besides that mentioned above, coolant is mainly there to protect the cooling system from corrosion.

Antifreeze raises the boiling point of water and if hot spots develop in a new engine steam wont cool it.Burp the motor by filling it as soon as the thermostat starts opening and you shouldnt have any issues. Air gets trapped in the block so burping is important.

I dont understand the burping thing. Like when to do it or how

I do it by leaving the cap off, starting the motor let it warm up on its own and when the T-stat opens you will see a big bubble come up and your coolant level will drop, thats when you top off the coolant and put the cap on. It's a good thing to do on any car every now and then.

I did it durring on mine. It will warm up pretty fast durring break in so be ready. I would also use one of those caps with the lever on it for a while on a new motor that way if ou need to open the cap right away you wont burn the crap out of yourself.

If you put a small (1/8") hole in the thermostat, it'll allow you to fill your cooling system all the way the first time. Might take a little longer, but you won't have to refill it while its running.

I used mostly water in mine during the camshft break in. I was warned that the Cometic head gaskets will sometimes leak untill they have had several heat/cool cycles. I figured water in the oil is bad enough without antifreeze if they leaked. Later I dropped the water and added the correct amount of antifreeze. The motor rad thermostats have a hole with a wiggler valve in it to allow air to escape while you are filling it.

-
Back