What to do with starter solenoid?

-

1mean340

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm working on modifying some wiring on my 70 challenger and I'm looking for something I can do with the factory starter solenoid to either clean it up with a nicer looking part or hide it somehow.

Here's what I have so far as far as wiring goes.
36133358803_74c0e76d78_h.jpg
FullSizeRender-12 by Kris A, on Flickr

Basically just used 2/0 welding wire to a bulkhead at the firewall, then another 2/0 cable to the starter and a 1 gauge welding wire cable to the 140amp 1 wire alternator (I ran out of 2/0 and had the 1 gauge around, figured it would be plenty for the alternator). I know it's not NHRA legal, the 175amp kill switch is just there for me to disconnect the battery easily while parked or in the garage. I figured that would be a good idea since I now have a hot cable running through the passenger compartment. Someday I'll probably go with a Ford style solenoid in the trunk using a separate alternator circuit but it was just more work/money I didn't want to spend right now. It has been kind of a budget project from spare parts that got out of control.

Anyway, I'm getting ready to wire the front of the car up and I really wish I could do something to hide or clean up the solenoid. The mopar solenoids always look like an ugly mess with all the exposed wires coming out at different angles. Anyone have any ideas that wouldn't be getting too crazy/expensive? Any replacement solenoids that look cleaner or has anyone tried to relocate the solenoid someplace else? Just looking for ideas.

Here is the build so far. So close to getting it fired up!
36546336170_164237ab65_h.jpg
IMG_2604 by Kris A, on Flickr

Last edited:
They're in a handy spot if mounted on the fenderwell. I use mine all the time to connect a remote starter switch to bump the motor over when adjusting the valves. Unless you want to wire up a separate button for that somewhere in the engine compartment...

I agree that it's handy but mine is going under the dash.....a Bosch relay, just like Dakotas, Rams and many other vehicles use

-
Back