What to do with stovepipe vent

-

DartSwinger

Reaction score
'74 Dart Swinger, swapped out the old snorkel air filter for an Edelbrock, not seeing any difference without the preheat stovepipe. Can I just seal it off with a pipe plug so exhaust doesn't blow under the hood or will that mess anything up? Thanks.

OK I'm confused. Where did they use actual exhaust vapor for warm air intake ?
Most have a sheet metal heat collecter on the left manifold.

On the right side up from manifold into the bottom of the air filter, that springy metal pipe, activates the flap in the filter if it's cold to preheat carb.

Starts ok without it, I'm assuming plugging it will just send it out to exhaust instead, hopefully with no adverse affects, but I want to be sure.

If you have and hear an exhaust leak there you should plug it. Sure can't see it in my memory bank though. It is early LOL

There's not a leak, I removed the preheat stovepipe going to the air filter since Edelbrocks have no flapper.

Now I want to know if the hole in the manifold stove where that pipe went can be plugged off without any adverse affects.

Take it off. only wraps around the manifold and works by radiant heat. unless youre talking about the smog line pipe some later engines had.

-
Back