what to do with this mess?

-

67barracuda

Reaction score
I had decided to switch back to manual brakes and when I removed the power brake booster, this is what I found. The studs have been cut short, the hole is opened up for the push rod, and I now have four extra hole going through my firewall. This might be the reason I was having problems with the power brakes, wrong booster. I know believe it had a 68-69 booster on it. Any ideas on what to do and make it look good? I still am going to convert to manual brakes.

Attachments

• DSC02151.JPG
    87.5 KB · Views: 205
The studs that have been cut are part of the assembly pictured below. You might be able to remove the bracket and replace the studs. They may have to be tac welded to hold them in place. Other solution would be to get a new bracket. It will take some welding to clean up that mess on the firewall.

attachment.php

Judging from the holes, it appears that somebody installed a booster from a B or C body. Those have a large plate with 4 holes about where your "wrong holes" are, at least true for my 65 Newport. As far as I know, all A-body boosters used "stand-off brackets w/ lever", even on slant cars like yours where the C-body booster could fit (did fit?).

Many solutions to your mess. If you want to be factory correct - welder and plate as mentioned. If you want cheap and quick, just continue using the C-body plate, but put a 4-hole manual MC on it. Indeed, I would drill 2 new holes in it and use a modern aluminum 2-hole MC. That should work even if you later install a V-8. Regardless, I would install a dual reservoir MC for safety.

-
Back