What to do?

-

Fuglyfish

Reaction score
Lining up a powertrain for my 69 cuda', got an 84 2wd crew cab d350 w/ a 360/727 and Dana 60 rear that I was going to butcher and stuff in the car. Got offered a 360/727 out of some van and a good solid 9" in trade for the truck since I was going to scrap it afterward anyway. Pretty sure they're around the same year but I'll check the casting/stamps, are there any differences in blocks from trucks/vans or differences in trannies? Would the clutches/bands be heavier in the 1ton? Don't really need a d60 for what I want out of the car but not particularly find of the 9" either. And what's going to have to happen to the 9" to make it fit my a body (spring perches/flange to flange distance is what I need to know I guess.)

What year van? Do you mean a 9 1/4". Does it have a bolt on cover?.....
View attachment 1714623665

Nope, I mean a ford 9". And not sure the year, he's got the engine/trans pulled already and scrapped the van so I don't know wether it was a 150 250 what have you but I'll check the cast/stamps ASAP. I trust this fella so when he says it was a running driving unit I'm inclined to believe him just wonder if the one ton truck stuff is going to be tougher than van stuff or if its all the same? As for the diff? No idea what to do with an f word diff.

First thing you need to do is MEASURE the 9". Who knows what it's out of, they were made in many widths. I have a about a 78 Linc Versailles 9" with factory discs, bolts right under a Dart, and is maybe, 1" ? wider? The spring perches on the Versaille were ? don't remember? 1/4--1/2" wider apart than the Dart, just "spring" em right in there. You can Google, and find Ferd axle widths. Make sure that it IS a 9" and not the smaller 8.whatever. The sure way to tell is to look at the bottom bolts where the 3rd member bolts into the axle. If you can get a socket and extension on the two bottom bolts it is NOT a 9". On a 9, you must use a box or open end on those two, as the pinion casting overhangs them.

The trans might be built heavier, only thing I know of to watch for is that it IS a long tailshaft, and if you have a console shifter, some years had a shifter linkage bracket that bolted to a 3 hole casting that sticks down on the bottom of the tailshaft-----not a good diagram, but the bottom bracket is what I'm talking about

attachment.php

-
Back