What to do??

-

69 modtop

Reaction score
Ok, I'm a little unsure of what i should do with my engine in my car. I know i want to build a stroker, but do i use the #'s matching 340 or do I go find a cheap 360 and build it up. the car isn't going to be 100% original anyways, but do i bastardize the original motor or not. I'm at a loss, and looking for some opinions, don't hold back. Let me have 'em.

Oh yeah it's going in a '69 barracuda mod top if you didn't know from my name.

I agree with find a 360 to bore and stroke but I disagree with storing the 340. Those engines are over popular thus over priced today. The market value of any carborated V8 is already falling. I suggest sell it now.
We can expect atleast a dozen "I WANT IT!" posts in a forum such as this. A bias poll that doesn't represent the real world.

I agree with the others. BTW, I'm a fellow modtop owner! It's a 69 satellite though. Can we see some pics???

I am going to have to agree with 71produster on this one ... build the 360 and store the 340. If you have storage issues and can't store it then I would build the 340 and take a chance running it but I would never part with a #s matching motor by choice (especially if it were a hi-po motor from a Modtop package). Whether we believe in it or not, the value of a #'s matching car is still significantly higher than its non-#'s matching counterpart.

BTW: Pics would be greatly appreciated.

I'll post some pic's, but you'll be greatly disappointed as the top is not on and the car was changed and painted. i'm trying to get her back to her old glory. pic's to follow. thanks for the opinions.

I agree if its the numbers motor put it away in a safe dry place but make sure you put oil in the cylinders and turn it over once in awhile. Build a 360 they are a dime a dozen (okay not literally but you understand what i'm saying) and you would have no sentimental attachment to it if it accidentaly grenades or something and you wont be upset that you blew up the numbers 340 especially to a rare modtop. P.S. I want pics to. Good luck with it Justin

While the value of a 340 motor may be dropping. The value of a #'s matching car is increasing. It is getting more harder to find a #'s matching car. Most of the cars on the market today are not #'s matching, although they may have the correct date coded motor. They do not bring in as much as the #'s matching cars. I agree with the general consensus above. Find a 360 and store the 340.

Or you can just buy my 340 for $1000! But your probably to hell and gone from me in Nebraska, everyone is.

Store the 340. There are alot of guys out there today that are looking back in time and saying "Aaarrrgghh!! What the Hell was I thinking?!?!?!?":
Me included. :angry7:

-
Back