what to keep and what to sell. questions questions.

-
Quote-
I have talked to an engine builder (well known) friend, who stated, if i recall correctly, that a number of guys have found that 5.9 used motors had so little wear in them, they would use KB stock bore pistons, no overbore needed. I don't believe that is true with some of the earlier blocks? I will soon get a chance to look at a couple of them , I have a 5.9 Magnum build planned in a couple of months.

Yellow rose -"It had nothing to do with the cast iron. Most of that was due to EFI.

The only blocks I've seen that were as hard as a hemi block or an aftermarket block was a V-10. The magnum is NOT any different that any other block."-

According to Larry Sheppard in the book" How to modify your Magnum small block" All la and magnum blocks are made from the same high nickel material used in the 426 Hemi blocks.

Last edited:
Quote-
I have talked to an engine builder (well known) friend, who stated, if i recall correctly, that a number of guys have found that 5.9 used motors had so little wear in them, they would use KB stock bore pistons, no overbore needed. I don't believe that is true with some of the earlier blocks? I will soon get a chance to look at a couple of them , I have a 5.9 Magnum build planned in a couple of months.

Yellow rose -"It had nothing to do with the cast iron. Most of that was due to EFI.

The only blocks I've seen that were as hard as a hemi block or an aftermarket block was a V-10. The magnum is NOT any different that any other block."-

According to Larry Sheppard in the book" How to modify your Magnum small block" All la and magnum blocks are made from the same high nickel material used in the 426 Hemi blocks.

Ok, do you want me to post from the latest Chrysler book I have that says different? It says the hemi's and X and R blocks are all the same, and not the production blocks, which include the magnum.

I will say, when you hone an engine you can tell which is harder. Here they are, in order.

Chevy
Ford
OE Chrysler
X, R, V-10 and Hemi and other aftermarket blocks and sleeves.

The Chevy is the softest. It saved money on drills, reamers, taps and other tooling.

Fact.

So everyone gets an understanding I'll type all this out. You have to be careful or you'll get fooled. All the production blocks are the same. I have it in several sources and when taken together, plus having honed many many hundreds of blocks, maybe we can put this crap to bed.

MoPar Peformance Parts P4876826
Small Block "A" Engines
Section: Blocks, subsection "X-Block", page 72, left column, 2nd paragraph
Quote "The block material is Chrysler high-nickel cast iron."
Section:Blocks, Subsection "R-Blocks", 2 "Specifications and Features, page 72, left hand column 4th paragraph
"The MoPar Performance Parts "R-Block" is made of high-Nickel cast iron for maximum strength. This material is the same as used in the older "X-Block", as well as both the original 426 Hemi block and MoPars new 426 Hemi block. Other OE manufacturers only use this grade of cast iron in their race blocks. All new "R-Blocks are stressed relived. Machining is performed by Chrysler's Mound Road Engine facility in Michigan".

In all fairness, I have read where people say that all the Chrysler blocks are made of high-nickel cast iron. But never, ever have I read where anyone claimed that a 273 or a 400 was made of the same cast iron as a Hemi, or an X block or an R block or any other race block with any name on the valve cover.

As I said, having honed as many blocks as I have, you can tell, as I said, Chrysler has THE BEST OE cast iron of the big three. By far, better than any Chevy.

It would have been ignorants for the company to use a cast iron that is harder on tooling than they already did. I used to know how many holes GM could tap with one tap before it was changed. GM was getting 4-5 times the tool life of Chrysler. Since Chrysler produced less, they could use better cast iron than GM did for surface transportation.

if you want to test this, get your magnum block out, and and X block, or R block and do some grinding on them. You will see how much harder the race stuff than ANY production block ever. I don't count the Hemi as production.

You can also do the same with a Pcar head and a W-2. It takes 2.5 times longer to port a W-2 than a Pcar head.

I've never seen the weights on a magnum block but other block I've seen published. It is possible that a bit more material was used in magnum blocks, but I doubt that, because the heads are absolute breakers. They were taking material out anywhere they could. Why add it back in the block?

You can thank C.A.F.E. standards for the idiocy.

-
Back