What to know before adding AC

-

Futzy1

Reaction score
Let me start by saying I'm the perfect combination of dangerous, I know enough to fix things when they need it, but I really only know cars to the extent of the things I've had to fix.

I'm just about ready to make the plunge and order a ClassicAutoAir perfect fit system to my 73 Dart Custom. I gave the guys there a call and I'm looking at just north of $1600 for the kit shipped.

So here are my questions:
1. What do I need to check before I even think about starting? Will I need to add a fan shroud, etc?

2. I know that I'm going to end up having to spend more than the 1600 on the kit, but aside from charging, and buying a new belt of two, what you you guys think I'll end up having to drop cash on??

Thanks as always.

Oh and this is the kit:
1973 Dodge Dart Air Conditioning System | 73 Dodge Dart AC

Definitely be sure your cooling system is up to the task. From factory, the AC cars cane with a 26" rad and a shroud. Looks like a nice kit. Likely way easier than starting with an AC car and retrofitting like I did.

Cley

Thanks. That's actually going to be the subject of another thread. The longest I ever take my dart out is about a half hour drive, 10 minutes of which is on the freeway, and I never see my engine getting that hot.

Just another thing I need to check I guess. Lol

@6pk2goDemon thank you so much for the link to that post. I'm in the social desert, where summers have more days over tipple digits than under, so I was just wondering if you had any other tips.

I know I need to tint. OH, and this has been really nagging at me. Any ideas for an armrest pad on the metal window sill that might look correct? I'm a tall guy and I I really want to put my arm there. Lol

OH, and this has been really nagging at me. Any ideas for an armrest pad on the metal window sill that might look correct? I'm a tall guy and I I really want to put my arm there. Lol

You won't need to hang your arm out the window with the AC on :poke::)

Just take your time with the install & don't be afraid to call the Classic Air tech line with questions. They were quite helpful to me...

Just as 6pack said, you will need to have your cooling system ut to snuff. The install is strait forward, and the kit is very complete.

Hopefully, you have a small-block V-8 since that is what the kit is for. They show a parallel tube condenser, which is ~30% more efficient than a single tube (like factory used).

Cooling system shouldn't be a problem unless you have a wild cam and over-sized carburetor, since both make the engine inefficient at low rpm. If you do have problems, you can switch to a new aluminum radiator (~$150).

I put that exact system in my 69 Barracuda. It works great, it is very high quality, and the kit was very complete. The only problem I had is that the instructions were not very good. They may have updated them, but there were multiple errors in them when I bought the kit about 8 years ago. I eventually had to call the Tech line 4 or 5 times, and I am a very competent mechanic. Each time they were very helpful, but if the instructions had been better, I would not have had to call. Here are a few of the problems I came across:
1. A page or two that showed the picture and name of each part would help. Otherwise when they say to install XYZ part, sometimes you wonder what they mean.
2. They frequently call the same part different names on different pages.
3. Their explanation of which hose went where was pretty poor. I had to look at the pictures.
4. In one place it said, "the following steps are for 67 and older cars, but it never said when that section ended.
5. You were told to plug 2 different connectors into two different micro-switches. They named the switches, but since they were never identified, there was no way to tell which was which. The connectors could have plugged into either switch.
6. The wiring diagram was pretty much unusable.
7. The section that covered the extra pulley installation had several mistakes in it.
8. One of the pictures in the instructions was so fuzzy, it should NEVER have made it past a proof reader.
I typed up a very nice and polite 6 (or so) page letter with all the errors in the instructions and mailed it to them. I told them the kit was great, but there were a lot of errors in the instructions, I kind of expected a thank you of some kind, but never received one.
Again, don't get me wrong, It is a great kit. Read the directions thoroughly several times before install. I think I still have a copy of the letter I sent to them. I'll send it to you if you are interested.

Hopefully, you have a small-block V-8 since that is what the kit is for

I've got the 225 slant, but noticed that in all the pictures so I have them a call. They offer a sanden bracket for the slant for an extra 50 bucks.

The only problem I had is that the instructions were not very good.

Yeah, I was worried about that. I would describe my current level of skill as "competent enough." As in I may not have a clue what I'm doing when i start but i can pick up a shop manual and figure it out. I found a great 45 minute youtube install video of a guy putting one in classic mustang, and I took a look at the literature on the site.

I'd be interested to see what you think.

Here is the link

I'm hoping to get the kit within the next month or so, so for now with what I've read I'm just trying to make sure I've got my engine cooling on lock. After talking to slant6dan I'm throwing in a 180° thermostat, and I've double and triple checked my gauges, voltage limiter, hoses, etc.

I just want to make sure that if I spend the time and money on this and have a cooling problem that it just means I need to upgrade my cooling, not that I already had a problem to begin with.

Slant Six Dan recently sold his A-body and left the site. I hate to disagree with his advice w/o him around to counter (loved to when he was here), but I don't advise a 180 F T-stat. That won't prevent over-heating any more since once a 195 F T-stat is full-open that is max coolant flow and over-heating is >210 F. A colder T-stat will cause lower mileage, more pollution, and faster engine wear. Today's oils are fine at the higher operating temperature.

Let me start by saying I'm the perfect combination of dangerous, I know enough to fix things when they need it, but I really only know cars to the extent of the things I've had to fix.

I'm just about ready to make the plunge and order a ClassicAutoAir perfect fit system to my 73 Dart Custom. I gave the guys there a call and I'm looking at just north of $1600 for the kit shipped.

1. What do I need to check before I even think about starting? Will I need to add a fan shroud, etc?

2. I know that I'm going to end up having to spend more than the 1600 on the kit, but aside from charging, and buying a new belt of two, what you you guys think I'll end up having to drop cash on??

Thanks as always.

Oh and this is the kit:

The only thing I didn't see covered here is to pull the front seats and carpet up, treat any rust on your floor and insulate the firewall and floor pan with the two side foil covered insulation. Speedway Motors carries it at a great price with free shipping. Be sure to tape up the seems with that aluminum foil duct tape (not duct tape though) The tape with the wax paper on one side that you peel off as you use it. The insulation itself can be cut into a dozen or more custom fit sections and then taped together to make a perfect fit. Just like a dress maker uses many small pieces of fabric to make clothing....if that makes sense.

You seem to know a lot about dresses. . . .

Jk. Thanks for the tips.

You seem to know a lot about dresses. . . .

Jk. Thanks for the tips.

Yah, pretty much anything that relates to manufacturing technology interests me. The really cool part is applying processes from one facet of application to another unrelated application.

I know how that goes. My wife used to give me hell about how quickly I pick up new hobbies (sewing included). Now that I fix the cars, repair the home electronics, and yes, mend her dresses, she doesn't give me he'll anymore. She does however wish i would take on the hobby of picking up after myself at some point.

Thanks as always.

Oh and this is the kit:

Perfect Fit must be taken loosely, as it may not be such. Mine is only a sample of one but I will tell you about my install on my sister's 1968 Valiant.

Out of the box one of the micro-switches on the hvac housing was physically broken. I think whoever packed the box dropped the condenser on top of it and broke it since the broken pieces were in the box.

The bracket for the hvac housing was in the wrong location. With the mounting bracket lined up with the original small holes in the firewall the pipes for the a/c evaporator and the heater core were not aligned with the large hole in the firewall. This required drilling two new mounting holes in the firewall and tweaking a couple of the pipes.

Nowhere did I see it mentioned that the a/c hoses were not terminated with fittings, presumably because each install is slightly different. If you expected to get the a/c hoses ready to install you would be disappointed. It was not a big problem for me since I have the crimping tool for the hose fittings but was something that should have been noted.

As stated, the instructions are total crap. Among other things, they show one of the control cables mounted on and exiting from the top of the control lever assembly and going to the right. In actuality the cable mounts on the bottom of the control lever assembly and exits to the left. If you mount the cable as shown in the instructions the cable is too short and would operate backwards if it was long enough. I believe it was the cable for the defrost function.

After the system was installed and charged up I found a/c oil leaking inside the car from the suction pipe exiting the evaporator before it goes through the firewall. The suction pipe does not come out of the housing and go directly through the firewall. There is a short pipe with two right-angle bends connected to the evaporator that makes the two turns then goes through the firewall. The pipe connection is covered completely by the black insulating tape. When I removed the insulating tape and disconnected the pipe connection I found that they had not put a o-ring in that connection. Super quality control.

Overall, I am not impressed. Your experience may differ.

Yeah this has all become fairly mute. I think I'm going g yo sell my dart. I'm looking at a 66 fury iii. Man that is a beautiful car. Or possibly a 63 galaxie. I'm so torn, I want to stay mopar, but those early galaxies just look so nice.

-
Back