** what to pay for 355's or 391's? ***

-

4fortyDemon

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Have a local wrecking yard that knows that I'm into mopars. he called me up and said that he has some gears to sell. I checked them out- 489 case 355 with a powerlock unit in it. The other is a 741 case 391 with a power lock too. I haven't sold any used gears in a while- I sold a 489 case 355 last year with all new parts (gears,bearings,etc) for I think $600 shipped. I would like the 355's for my dart project on of these days. What to offer? Thanks!

I guess the question is what's he asking. I would guess based on what I have seen around here 4-5 hundred for the 489 and 3-4 hundred for the 741.

These numbers are what I have seen advertised here local. Of course things of this nature always seem to be higher around here.

$350.00 on the 3:55's and $400.00 on the 3:91's is pretty typical. I would be willing to bet that neither is a PowerLok if they are 489 cases, but if they are PowerLok thats a small bonus for you. I would let them shoot you a price before I called out any numbers to them, in case they come in lower than the $$ given above!! Yea, you can pay more and I've seen them advertized higher, but I've never bought or sold any SG cased gears above 3:55 for anything over 4 bills. Just me though, and I'm CHEEP!!!LOL!! Geof

$350.00 on the 3:55's and $400.00 on the 3:91's is pretty typical. I would be willing to bet that neither is a PowerLok if they are 489 cases, but if they are PowerLok thats a small bonus for you. I would let them shoot you a price before I called out any numbers to them, in case they come in lower than the $$ given above!! Yea, you can pay more and I've seen them advertized higher, but I've never bought or sold any SG cased gears above 3:55 for anything over 4 bills. Just me though, and I'm CHEEP!!!LOL!! Geof

Geof- both are power locks- I looked at them myself. Someone had to of swapped the PL into the 489 though. The 741 is from a early 60's pickup. I'm still holding out for a price from him that way if he's low..well ya know the scenario. he's a chevy guy and asks me most time for prices on mopar stuff but, I wasn't sure what to tell him on these. Initially I was thinking $300 a piece. We must be brothers cause I'm cheap too! LOL.

I guess the question is what's he asking. I would guess based on what I have seen around here 4-5 hundred for the 489 and 3-4 hundred for the 741.

These numbers are what I have seen advertised here local. Of course things of this nature always seem to be higher around here.

Thanks Badsport. I looked on here and moparts to try for an idea but not much for sale...

I have a 741 3.91 suregrip clutch type and IF i was gonna sell it I was thinking 350.

Junkyard?
Junk prices,
Feel the gears and rotation real good for slop.
I would start at $100 and go no higher than $250.00 if it was real nice.
Just think you are buying 40 yr old parts and something needs replaced.
Offer way less on the 741 because parts are getting hard to find.

Thanks guys! He want's $350 each. the 355 have newer gears. I'm gonna buy the 355's and sell my 355's that I have. Mine is 489 case spin resistant (borg warner style) -i figure I'd rather have the power loc if I use slicks. :burnout:
Thanks again for the comments.:D

Junkyard?
Junk prices,
Feel the gears and rotation real good for slop.
I would start at $100 and go no higher than $250.00 if it was real nice.
Just think you are buying 40 yr old parts and something needs replaced.
Offer way less on the 741 because parts are getting hard to find.
Not a JUNK yard but is a wrecking yard- he guarantees the stuff he sells and we have a good buying/selling relationship. I have an auto shop and buy alot from him. I can't complain- I just scored a set of 5 small bolt rallyes from him for $100 complete. So, it's give and take.

Thanks guys! He want's $350 each. the 355 have newer gears. I'm gonna buy the 355's and sell my 355's that I have. Mine is 489 case spin resistant (borg warner style) -i figure I'd rather have the power loc if I use slicks. :burnout:
Thanks again for the comments.:D

We think a lot alike.

-
Back