What Tools are needed for Suspension work?

-

equium

Reaction score
I'm waiting for my disc brake hardware to arrive and trying to buy what tools I need in the meantime. I was wondering if I need any sockets larger than 1" ?
I don't own a jumbo socket set, but will buy a set if I need them for suspension work.
If there are any tools other than sockets I might need, please let me know too.
thanks
Danny

Moog ball joint socket for the upper control arms. Their is 3 different.
Early A late A, B&E and C body.
If you plan to change the pitman arm on the steering gear box you should measure
yours to get the correct size. Will also need a puller for this pitman arm. I have a miller
Tools pitman arm puller and it makes this effortless like none other I have found.
A good long 1/2" breaker bar is needed to go with the sockets you have (1/2" drive) as these suspensions have some of the tightest bolts you will find on your car. Cept maybe for seat
belt bolts. Some guys use pickle forks to break loose all the tapered joints but a big hammer
whack in the right spot on the side of the female tapered part will pop them right off.
Be prepared to get dirty and even get pinched or bleed a little if its your first go at this.
Its not really that bad but good tools makes a big difference. Make sure you don't
forget to take all the cotter pins out first.

You can't know for sure until you start taking it apart. Some ( including myself ) have needed a torch to get the bolts out of the upper arm bushings.
Suspension is not just anyones niche. I worked for/with a guy who was excellent at diagnose/repair at engine, a/c, electrical, customer relations, you name it. He absolutely hated suspension work. The hard labor involved wasn't the problem. It was those darn cotter pins that gave him so much grief.
If you haven't priced the cost to farm out suspension work I'll suggest you do so. If you're just bound and determined to do it yourself I wish you luck.

Whole lot of patience and rust buster lube. Worst thing I have found with classic Mopars is upper control arm adjusters and bushings. Sometime you need small torch to heat thing to break them loose. Good jack and stands and be safe.

Once new bj's are installed make sure they are snug! You may need to tack weld them in. Buy the pickle fork its worth the investment!!

-
Back