What tranny is this?

-

HemiEd

Reaction score
I am looking at buying this stuff, from afar. Thinking about converting the 68 Barracuda over to a 4 speed, just for more grins.

Can you tell me what trans this is for sure? Will it work? It has been 20 years since I messed with an A Body four gear, so it isn't very fresh.

Thanks in advance for the help!:-D

Attachments

• Tranny 002 (2).jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 542
  • Tranny 003 (2).jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 545
Ed I don't know much about manual transmissions but I looked up the casting # on the bellhousing and it says it's from a 72-73 A, B, or E body with a 10-1/2" clutch so it should work in your car. Can't say much for the trans. as I can't see it well in the pic and even if I did I don't know what to look for. Sorry but that's the limit of my knowledge on them.

BTW: If you look down lower there's a 4 spd. forum. You might get more responses there.

Ed I don't know much about manual transmissions but I looked up the casting # on the bellhousing and it says it's from a 72-73 A, B, or E body with a 10-1/2" clutch so it should work in your car. Can't say much for the trans. as I can't see it well in the pic and even if I did I don't know what to look for. Sorry but that's the limit of my knowledge on them.

BTW: If you look down lower there's a 4 spd. forum. You might get more responses there.

Thanks fishy! That is very helpful!

Maybe a mod can move it please?

ask to see the end of the tailshaft just to make sure it takes a slip yoke. cause there is a four speed out there usually from earlier 60's the trans has a trunion style joint that is fixed to the tailshaft

ask to see the end of the tailshaft just to make sure it takes a slip yoke. cause there is a four speed out there usually from earlier 60's the trans has a trunion style joint that is fixed to the tailshaft

Will do, I am pretty sure this is out of a 72 Duster. I found another trans closer, and think I will pick it up on Saturday. It is supposed to be an O/D unit.

Where is the best place to buy goodmark trans hump from? They are $185 on goodmarks website, know of any better deal out there?

Here is one a lot closer. I think it is an overdrive unit. Is there a downside to it?

Will it work with about all of the bell housings? Will my auto cross member work?

Sorry for being so stupid, I have pretty much always done autos.

thanks again!

Attachments

• four speed.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 419
I saw a tranny on Jerry Springer. He/she didn't look anything like that, though.

Will do, I am pretty sure this is out of a 72 Duster. I found another trans closer, and think I will pick it up on Saturday. It is supposed to be an O/D unit.

Where is the best place to buy goodmark trans hump from? They are $185 on goodmarks website, know of any better deal out there?

I don't know if they are Goodmark, but they're on Ebay less than that. Yeah....I know.

Thanks friend, I found one for $135 on Ebay, it is an AMD. I ended up buying two 4 speeds, damn I am stupid sometimes. I got the second one pictured, and it's brother. Neither of which were on Springer. :D
No problem! You will probably be really happy with it. The previous owner of Goodmark runs AMD now so they always try to make their product alot better than Goodmark's stuff. They use actual panels off our cars at AMD to make the panels they sell to their customers. Its pretty cool. They are working on Barracuda panels right now last time I was up there8)

No problem! You will probably be really happy with it. The previous owner of Goodmark runs AMD now so they always try to make their product alot better than Goodmark's stuff. They use actual panels off our cars at AMD to make the panels they sell to their customers. Its pretty cool. They are working on Barracuda panels right now last time I was up there8)

I had no idea, thanks! You made me feel better about my purchase. I am certainly paying some tuition to get re-indoctrinated into the four gear stuff.

It is nice to know that I got one thing right.

After accumulating all the parts, and reading all of that information over and over, it looks like I ended up with two big block A body four speeds, as they are 23 spline, with the 4.80 bearing retainer and have the large 308 bearing.

After accumulating all the parts, and reading all of that information over and over, it looks like I ended up with two big block A body four speeds, as they are 23 spline, with the 4.80 bearing retainer and have the large 308 bearing.

Is that a good thing? Is that what you were looking for?

Where did you look up the casting #s. I'd like to look up mine. Thanks.

Where did you look up the casting #s. I'd like to look up mine. Thanks.

Well it turned out that it wasn't the case. The more reading I did (links in this thread) they proved to be early cast iron (75 and 76) over drive units.

They are for sale, cheap by the way. :D

How much is cheap?

$350 for the pair, or $225 for the one with the shifter mount and bearing retainer, and $175 for the one missing those two items. Both are very nice on the inside, very nice.

Seeing you are in South Dakota, I could throw them on a skid/pallet, and ship them to a business location in your area.

Thanks, but I have another member here who is selling me one for a bit less. Just hasn't happened yet, so I'm keeping my eyes open as to what's available. I'll keep you in mind.

-
Back