what transmission to use with new hemi 5.7

-
I bought a TR6060 out of a wrecked challenger for $900. If you look enough there are deals out there.

I'd go this route.

You said it yourself "i ultimately want a manual tranny".......why go through swap twice. Take your time and do it right the first time.

Just save your money and go for the T56 look around i got mine out of a 06 GTO for 400.00 and its in good shape just have to spend another roughly 1500.00 to get it in there.

I noticed the nag1 is omitted. I wish I could post the pictures of everything we have. Unfortunately we can't at the moment. The NAG1 is the best transmission to put behind a new hemi. It is exceptionally well built, you can build it to hold a nearly unlimited amount of power. It is geared well.

I know everyone shys away from it because the electronics, but I am telling you we have the electronics worked out. The 545 is JUNK, you can break them with a stock 6.1. Plan on spending $2000 to buy a nag1, converter, and electronics. It will hold 550 wheel horsepower in stock form.

I'm no trans expert, I can only speak from experience. I had a 545 in my 2001 Dakota behind a 4.7 and did not have any issues in 75,000 miles and it always shifted great. I sold the Dak for a new 2005 Magnum R/t which had the Nag 1 in it, and I absolutely hated it, it was never in the right gear, the engine was always lugging. I had it flashed at the dealer, and it made no difference.

I am looking everywhere I can think of, not finding any transmissions in most places, let alone any deals.
Im looking on craiglists, including states surrounding me.
Thrifty nickel/want adds.
ebay,
etc etc.
junk yards

anyone else have any other sites? suggestions?

I am looking everywhere I can think of, not finding any transmissions in most places, let alone any deals.
Im looking on craiglists, including states surrounding me.
Thrifty nickel/want adds.
ebay,
etc etc.
junk yards

anyone else have any other sites? suggestions?

Slow down. Be Patient.

Once you figure out exactly what you want create an RSS feed (basically an automated search) on craigslist for the areas nearest your home.

For example, I found my Hemi in a little town an hour outside of Sacramento Ca. after a search of a year. The main reason it took me so long is because I didn't have any money, :) . Being patient paid off, I got a used 6.1L Hemi, a used A833 transmission, a new Gear Vendors overdrive, new flywheel, new pressure plate, and new bell-housing for $6900.00. I only had to drive 14 hours round trip to pick it up. :cheers:

The key benefit of being patient is that you will learn the current going price of various parts. For example, used truck hemi they sell almost immediately on ebay for $1500.00 but will sit for months at 3K.

You can also search car-part.com this site allows you to search junk yards nation wide. I just searched for a T-56 out of a 99 Camaro and found one for $1395.00 nine miles from my house. A T-56 out of a 2000 Viper was also $1395.00 but was 2K miles away. Worth the shipping? Who knows??? My point is now you have a some idea what of current pricing and availability.

The reality of ebay and craigslist is quality used parts like the ones your looking for are fairly rare, and people are frequently stoned as to the value of their parts. For example, there's a junk yard on Car-Part that wants 7K for a transmission. These parts come up on all three services regularly but when they are price fairly they sell FAST.

The good news is you can search all these sites everyday in about ten minutes.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I've owned 3 srt8 cars myself and I can tell you the 5.7 isn't enough power to put the nag1 in the right gear. Its superb behind the 6.1 and even better behind the 6.4.

Morale of the story...if your putting a stock 5.7 in your car, 545 will work fine. Your car will make 260-280 to the tires and run for a long time.

If your doing anything performance wise, there are better options

thanks for the smack to the face Joe,
I got other things I need to do on the car, I can do those while I wait for a tranny.
I do know I want a manual, so as others have stated no sense in putting in the auto, just to swap.
I do need to get wiring/pc for the hemi as well.

What does it take to make a T56 out of a Chevy or Ford work with the 3G hemi? The input shaft lengths seem to be different.

I would also like the manual trans for the fun factor. Ideally would like to find a 6.1 with a manual attached.

I do know I want a manual, so as others have stated no sense in putting in the auto, just to swap.

I think some of that depends on what all you want to do to the car in the long run or potentially have to take out to redo. Since you already have the auto and it's pretty much a straight bolt up I don't think it would be a bad idea to toss it on and have some fun with the car while you save up for the trans you really want. I swapped my Hemi in with a carb and MSD and had the whole thing on the ground having fun a week later. Drove it that way for a few months before I stumbled on a Megasquirt setup and swapped back to fuel injection.

I've seriously debated a T56 swap on several ocassions for the past few months, but until the price is what I'm willing to pay I'm not going to be doing it any time soon. I know I'm going to have to pull out the interior and cut up the floor, but I've been driving the car for over a year now and having a blast while I save up or wait for a deal. If you don't want to or can't pony up the cash right now for the trans you want and it's going to be some time before you can there's no reason to not enjoy the car in the meantime.

Very true. ANd I been been looking at that avenue.
prob i was running into last night was not being able to find parts, like that offset flex plate. Seems everyone is sold out.
Did find one on ebay, but it was 200% the cost from the vendor....no freaking way im getting ripped off.

What does it take to make a T56 out of a Chevy or Ford work with the 3G hemi? The input shaft lengths seem to be different.

I would also like the manual trans for the fun factor. Ideally would like to find a 6.1 with a manual attached.

Quicktime makes a bell-housing that allows the Chevy T-56 to mate to the Hemi. Then you simply need to use a clutch disc that matches the Chevy T-56 spline count and diameter.

All the T-56 require a hydraulic throw-out bearing so that part is equally straight forward.

Regards.

Joe Dokes

I noticed the nag1 is omitted. I wish I could post the pictures of everything we have. Unfortunately we can't at the moment. The NAG1 is the best transmission to put behind a new hemi. It is exceptionally well built, you can build it to hold a nearly unlimited amount of power. It is geared well.

I know everyone shys away from it because the electronics, but I am telling you we have the electronics worked out. The 545 is JUNK, you can break them with a stock 6.1. Plan on spending $2000 to buy a nag1, converter, and electronics. It will hold 550 wheel horsepower in stock form.

Might i ask .... Who are we ?

Found a transmission in a 92 camaro, its a 5 speed. RS. Dunno what engine size or tranny model. I am thinking its a t5?
What you all think about that as a swap? I didn't see quicktime made a bell adapter for the t5, assuming thats what it is. I dont know camaros. From what I gather its either a t5 or a t56, and i know it doens't have 6 gears.

would stay away from a t5. while they can be made to handle abuse why not start with something more suited? there was a member here, believe he is a younger guy from Canada that swapped one into his a-body and was not real thrilled with it. His screen name is a bit odd.......

Guess I'll keep looking then. Prices here are insane.
Guy on Craigslist wanted 2k for a t56 disassembled missing input shaft, another wanted 1k for a 05 hemi stock harness and computer.

HOWEVER, bouncing ideas off a buddy of mine at work, he has a nice camaro drag car..He thinks that getting a t5 just to get something going and started, would work. He says the bolt patterns on the newer transmissions are so close, the bellhousing from quicktime would crossover, say from a t5 to a t56..with little to no modification to the holes....this sound accurate?

Guess I'll keep looking then. Prices here are insane.
Guy on Craigslist wanted 2k for a t56 disassembled missing input shaft, another wanted 1k for a 05 hemi stock harness and computer.

HOWEVER, bouncing ideas off a buddy of mine at work, he has a nice camaro drag car..He thinks that getting a t5 just to get something going and started, would work. He says the bolt patterns on the newer transmissions are so close, the bellhousing from quicktime would crossover, say from a t5 to a t56..with little to no modification to the holes....this sound accurate?

According to Lakewoods website (Quicktime was purchased by Lakewood) the bellhousing are different. The T-56 Chevrolet, T-56 Viper, and T-5 (also includes TKO transmissions) all use a different bellhousing.

You could pick up a T-5 cheap install it and when it breaks step up to a TKO.

Personal opinion, I'm not that impressed with the TKO line they claim 500 and 600 ft lbs of torque capacity, but people who've used them to drag race break them frequently.

I see you're in Colorado springs, have you been searching Denver's Craigslist? Sometimes being willing to drive four or five hours makes a huge difference.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

from what I remember the t-56's have a different length input shaft. QT does offer, if i remember right, a bellhousing to use any, GM/Ford or Viper t56. sad to say, in the long run it very well might be cheaper to get a new t-56 Magnum from any retailer as the price is fixed on them I believe. from modern driveline they are $2895. by the time you find a t56 and have it gone thru you will be damn close to it. keep in mind that is just the trans price....if you put a t-5 in it like your friend suggested and then swap up to a tko later you are just creating more work. why not just start saving your $$ until you can afford to do what you want? none of the od options are inexpensive, even the gv is going to set you back over 2k, and that is assuming you have a useable 727/tc/cooler and shifter. do enough searching around and you will find a boat load of folks who like the tko units.....and you will also find some folks who hate it. you are running into the problem everyone else has that wants to "modernize" these old dinosaurs....it aint cheap......

seems to all be at once. I wanna put hemi it, but I think i need to put in hemi dennys kit in first (alterk is to much)...that will give me clearance, and power rack.
Then to get hemi running I Need 2k worth of parts(electronics, computer, etc...), then I want a manual tranny...cost money for the good ones...i have a 727, but even that will need money in parts to make it work (flex plate, kickdown..etc)

Was hoping to get to a point where I could do a part at a time. HA. Welcome to mopar.

I am using a NV3500 out of a Dodge Dakota in my Coronet behind my 5.7. I made my own motor mounts and trans cross member mount and didn't have to cut the floor or cross member to make it fit. The trans is comperable in strength to a T-5 but at $400 for the trans with a built in bell housing you can run it without having to mod your car and when it dies you will have saved for a T-56. At least thats my plan.

I don't have it up and running yet (still doing body work) but I plan to use a stock flywheel from a 2500 series ram ($83) Stock clutch for the same application (same spline count as the NV4500) and the stock Dakota clutch parts. Basically I'll be into the whole setup for less than the cost of a bell housing and clutch for the other swaps and be banging gears with OD and should be running 1800 rpm at 70 on the highway.

FYI these trannies can be pulled from behind a v8 in a dakota from 96-04 but beware, 00-04 don't have a speedo output so if you want to run the cable get a 96-99 trans.

seem to remember the 4500 being a truck trans with a granny gear, something like 5 or 6 to 1 low gear......and being a pig when it comes to weight......pretty sure it is close to 200 pounds.....might want to google it.

-
Back