What two years in a shed will get you...

-

Lost Bushman

Rich with Anti-Money
Reaction score
So. Two years ago I moved from Phoenix and parked my '69 Dart GT in a covered tractor shed, tarped it, and called it as good as I could get...

Today, I went to try to fire it up just to see if it would run long enough to pull on a trailer and up into my garage.

Hooked up my jump box and turned the key....ruuurn, ruuurn, ruuurn...nothing.

Tried three times, got fuel, engine turns, couldn't figure out why it wouldn't fire.

Then I looked closer....
dist.jpg

Damn squirrels.

lol Its amazing how little critters get into the stuff they do. Im still trying to figure out how the mice got INSIDE a car I had packed away years ago. Got in crapped all over and burrowed deep in the foam in the seats to escape the cold.

I have a TERRIBLE time with rats in my garage. It seems as soon as I put down Decon, they eat it, die and in short order there's another rat in the garage. I live in the south on a marsh, so it's attractive to rodents. I have found a product called "Shake-Away". It is amazing and works well to not kill the critters, but keep them from ever coming in. It is a natural repellant made of Bobcat & Fox urine. A rodents natural enemy. Won't harm plants, bushes, trees or your car. The product can be put in stocking balls and tossed in or around the car or garage & the critters get the scent and scurry away for fear of being eaten!! Great stuff, cheap, long lasting and easy to use. You can get it at www.critter-repellent.com Why would a mouse/rat eat plug wires??? Hope this might help out some folks out there looking to put up a car for a while!! I HATE rats!!

Matt B.

I had an 83 Fury cop car that was black and in the winter a squirrel would crawl up under the hood and do exactly the same thing.... eat the damn plug wires. A lady that worked at a courthouse near here had this happen to her car at work several times as well.

Ive found that filling up a little platic bowl halfway with radiator fluid then sliding it under the car does wonders,I also put 1 under the workbench. Doesnt freeze in the winter obviously and if anything gets in they are drawn to it. I dont have any pets so I dont have to worry about them getting into it.

thats one more reason I love my dogs. They have even bayed 3 copperheads in my garage, a cotton mouth in my shop, a chicken snake in the yard, and armadillo in the garage, and a opoussum under the car. Needless to say a squirrel or a rat dont have a chance. My dogs rock. :toothy10:

I have a cat that eats nails for breakfast and ***** razorblades for lunch!!!

LOL!!!! He brings all sorts of critters up to the back door. He's so proud of his catches. I have a lot of farm implement dealers on my tool route and combines are loaded with chewed wires from critters on the farm. Nothing works. There are some pretty spectacular combine fires because of bare wires.
toolmanmike

I use a small container filled with moth balls under the hood, inside the car and in the trunk. It keeps everything out, don't forget a few in the tail pipes (Don't even ask me how I get the balls off the moths)

I use a small container filled with moth balls under the hood, inside the car and in the trunk. It keeps everything out, don't forget a few in the tail pipes (Don't even ask me how I get the balls off the moths)

Mothballs work the best!
I put them in nylons and hang them all over the garage they keep all the bugs and rodents out!!!

thats one more reason I love my dogs. They have even bayed 3 copperheads in my garage, a cotton mouth in my shop, a chicken snake in the yard, and armadillo in the garage, and a opoussum under the car. Needless to say a squirrel or a rat dont have a chance. My dogs rock. :toothy10:

Dude, where do you live, Bithlo, okeechobee :lol:

This sucker came walking right in while I was working one night....strut rods make good racoon bats :-D

And as far as plug wires, it must have something to do with silicone. I had one of my cats chew through a power supply wire under my computer desk.......cat shot out of the room like his tail was on fire and the wall wart started to smoke before I realized what he had done....stupid cat. :angry7:

IMG00129 (Small).jpg

Yum yum ,those plug wires are just too delicious! :-D One of those critters got under my house once and chewed up the coaxial cable insulation for my TV. There must be something irresistible in that stuff!

In the late 80's my company bought a used CNC turret punch press for 50k. The factory guy came out and they installed it. It never did get running cause rats got inside the controller and chewed up a bunch of wiring. That was an expensive boat anchor.

I don't know. There was a small, cantalope sized nest made from peices of the old car cover, sitting right on top of the intake manifold, littered with acorn tops and such. It should've been a dead give away to what lay ahead.

I'm going back this Sunday with the trailer to finally rescue my car. I'm stressing that when I do get it home, I'm going to find that the rodent lunchwagon ran farther than just the plug wires....:angry7:

A buddy bought a super rare '67 Z-28 with 302 and a cowl plenum induction. The previous owner had stored the car for a number of years in a garage. He also pulled the distributor. The mice got inside the 302 and built a nest in the lifter valley. The valley was packed with the paper nest they had accumulatred over time. Acorn shells were everywhere INSIDE the engine. The mouse urine had also corroded all the metal surfaces internally-pistons, cam, lifters, rods, everything. What was hoped to be a freshening up and fire-up turned into a full blown machine/rebuild.

-
Back