What wheel cylinders?

-

71valiant

Make fast, break, repeat.
Reaction score
I've got a 67 Valiant with manual 73 and up front discs and 8.75 11x2 rear drums. I just swapped the orig. master cylinder to a 73 and up power master cylinder. What rear wheel cylinders do I need? It has the original 3461776 cylinders right now. The rears are locking before the fronts. Im also running the stock distrubution block, untouched.

Last edited:
First, make sure the fronts are properly bled and all air is out.

Then, 2 paths:
1. Go down in size by 1/16" to 1/8" (assuming you have 10" brakes originally). Tat would probably put you at 7/8" or 13/16". Rear brakes lockup
2. Add an adjustable proportioning valve in the rear line

That would reduce your rear brake torque by about 15%. 13/16" would reduce the rear brake torque by over 30%.

Hmmmm.... I really have to suspect that things are not all kosher up front. Everything clean? Front bleeders at the top of the calipers?

Maybe do the 'gusher' test that some here have described so well..... take the cover off of the MC, press the pedal really hard and then let up slowly and look for a gush of fluid up out of the rear MC reservoir. (As a precaution, cover the area with a couple of layers of cloth to catch any fluid spills.) A gusher indicates air in the half of the system where the gusher comes back.

Yup. I've got a gusher in the front half of the MC. Which would be the rear brakes... Weird..

But if inner or outer pistons are frozen (4 piston ) the brakes will still apply to stop wheel but too weak and rears kick in and car wants to swap ends
Caliper is fixed on 4 piston KH
My inner pistons were frozen on my dart
Panic stop that rear wanted to spin me into next week
All I'm saying is be 100% sure they're free then go from there
Good luck

-
Back