What will it run?????

-

72 340 DUSTER

Reaction score
ok, i am trying to get an idea of a ball park of what my 1972 duster is going to run when i get it done. this is what ive got, i have a 340 with factory steel crank, egal H-beam rods, SRP flat top pistons, Indy Cylinder Heads new X heads, 63cc chambers, 2.02 valves, i belive 1.83 exhaustbut dont quote me on that, its what ever indy uses, the compression comes out to exactly 10:1, cam is a comp .502 solid lift mopar performance single plane intake, demon 750 carb, TTI polished ceramic coated headers, to TTI exhaust with X pipe and Flowmaster super 44s, the tranni is a 727 w/ turbo action 3400 stahl converter, turbo action cheetah reverse manual valve body, and turbo action racing clutches, the gear in the 8 3/4 is 3.73 w/ a 28 inch tall tire, but my slicks are 26 inches tall which makes the gear a 4.10, this would be on 9 inch hoosier slicks. My car is a pretty much stock 72 duster with all the sheet metal, and should way pretty close to the factory weight im predicting 3000 pounds with me in the car, the chasis has frame conectors, pretty stiff chasis, shocks are kyb gas adjust, and this is with factory front end w/ wilwood disk brakes, rear is mopar performance super stock 5 leaf springs in their factory locations, i think thats all you need to know, if anyone has built a similar engine or similar combo let me know what it ran, or if your really good at this stuff or you have a program, can you give me a good estimate, thanks

also this is with ICE ignition, 2.5 inch exhaust and serpentine system with no mechanical fan, electrics, this is 93 pump gas, i think thats it

ok, i am trying to get an idea of a ball park of what my 1972 duster is going to run when i get it done. this is what ive got, i have a 340 with factory steel crank, egal H-beam rods, SRP flat top pistons, Indy Cylinder Heads new X heads, 63cc chambers, 2.02 valves, i belive 1.83 exhaustbut dont quote me on that, its what ever indy uses, the compression comes out to exactly 10:1, cam is a comp .502 solid lift mopar performance single plane intake, demon 750 carb, TTI polished ceramic coated headers, to TTI exhaust with X pipe and Flowmaster super 44s, the tranni is a 727 w/ turbo action 3400 stahl converter, turbo action cheetah reverse manual valve body, and turbo action racing clutches, the gear in the 8 3/4 is 3.73 w/ a 28 inch tall tire, but my slicks are 26 inches tall which makes the gear a 4.10, this would be on 9 inch hoosier slicks. My car is a pretty much stock 72 duster with all the sheet metal, and should way pretty close to the factory weight im predicting 3000 pounds with me in the car, the chasis has frame conectors, pretty stiff chasis, shocks are kyb gas adjust, and this is with factory front end w/ wilwood disk brakes, rear is mopar performance super stock 5 leaf springs in their factory locations, i think thats all you need to know, if anyone has built a similar engine or similar combo let me know what it ran, or if your really good at this stuff or you have a program, can you give me a good estimate, thanks

Unless you weigh around 30 lbs. you'll more then likely be closer to 3200-3300 or so with you in it, thats if you weigh around 140-150, if you weigh 300 lbs. look out lol.

I ran 12.5s @ 105 in an all steel 71 Dart with ALOT less then you have, so i'll say if your at or around 3200 race weight 12.0s should be doable, maybe high 11s & thats a fact.

yea i did a little more research and itll probably be more like 3250 or 3300 w/ me in it, and my machine shop checked the cc of the heads,

you would gain better power tossing those flowmasters and getting a better flowing muffler like a dynomax or a hooker max flow and they sound the same

Put a 3" exhaust on it and you'll see low 12's pretty easy.

I don't know mike, Might run better with 2.1/2" & cutouts, better lowend torque, its not really a crazy SB build or stroker. Quit mild accually. I would however look at better mufflers though.

Low,mid twelves.108/110 trap speed if you hook.If not,check your rear shock extended length.I used to sell kybs,conservative on shock tra vel.If the case,check out a shock from a 71 Imperial.I went through this on my 002/003 3200 lb. springs.

im thinking the shocks might be an issue, but for as far as the mufflers i was under the assumption that flowmasters are the best flowing, defidently sound better than dynomax, but my mufflers are on header flanges so once the cars done i might experiment w/ dif mufflers

Flow Masters do not "Flow" and thats the bottom line. As far as a power making abilty, you want a muffler that flows straight through, like a Hooker Max Flo, Dyno Max, Max Flow, etc.... Also, @ 2-1/2 inch pipe size, consider that the min. pipe size.

First day out, 12.5.
After tuning the engine and chassis, a tad, 12.0's.
If your really good and have everything in line, high 11's.

I have seen this combo (Though not exact, but in general, extremely close! ) run an ave. of what I stated above. It is very similar to the MoPar create short block (10-1/292/.509 cam) and a Edelbrock top end run low 12's all day long. IMO, it's an excellent street/strip package.

upon more reaserch i found why you say the dynomax flow better, like you said they are a straight flow design as to the flowmasters, they have a series of baffles as i like to call them, from what i understand thats what gives you that flowmaster sound, but its common sence that they are more restrictive, thanks for the help, what is the best dynomax muffler offered that will be best on my application???

upon more reaserch i found why you say the dynomax flow better, like you said they are a straight flow design as to the flowmasters, they have a series of baffles as i like to call them, from what i understand thats what gives you that flowmaster sound, but its common sence that they are more restrictive, thanks for the help, what is the best dynomax muffler offered that will be best on my application???

I think there Dynomax "ultra flows", something like this one.

http://www.jegs.com/i/Dynomax/289/17263/10002/-1

-
Back