What will make 1973 Dart rear package shelf black again?

-

318MoparGuy

MoparHokie
Reaction score
The rear package shelf on my 73 Dart needs a little TLC...it's black and it looks to be thick pressed cardboard/some other material. What if anything...can be done to make it new looking again? (short of replacing it). Any help/advice from past experiences is appreciated...Thanks, Greg

I have a repop I bought from an unnamed company that was supposed to fit my Dart Sport. It is way too big and I suspect it fits a Swinger. They were weenies and won't admit their mistake and won't take it back. I'd be happy to sell it cheap. It does me no good and is gathering dust. We would have to measure to make sure it fits if you want it. I don't want to send you an unusable part too. I actually have two that don't fit my Dart. I finally made my own. Hardboard and black paint.

I bought one and front covers all legendary stuff from Pro/Fit Auto Interiors. They sent me the wrong package shelf ordered and paid for speaker cutout but legendary sent one without. These guys were cheaper than buying direct. I sent them an email explaining what happened. they sent me a new correct one and said keep the first one as it would be a loss with return shipping.
That is customer service and I will sing their praises for doing the right thing.

I have a repop I bought from an unnamed company that was supposed to fit my Dart Sport. It is way too big and I suspect it fits a Swinger. They were weenies and won't admit their mistake and won't take it back. I'd be happy to sell it cheap. It does me no good and is gathering dust. We would have to measure to make sure it fits if you want it. I don't want to send you an unusable part too. I actually have two that don't fit my Dart. I finally made my own. Hardboard and black paint.

What's involved in removing it and what are the dims of your shelf?
Thanks,Greg

i took my old crusy one out and used it as a template. i went down to the home creepshow and got me some 1/8 masonite board. cut it to the correct size and then went down to the local fabric store and got some fabric that matched the car and covered it with that. looks pretty jazzy.

I bought one and front covers all legendary stuff from Pro/Fit Auto Interiors. They sent me the wrong package shelf ordered and paid for speaker cutout but legendary sent one without. These guys were cheaper than buying direct. I sent them an email explaining what happened. they sent me a new correct one and said keep the first one as it would be a loss with return shipping.
That is customer service and I will sing their praises for doing the right thing.

Thanks to Mopar to ya and Rocky JS for offering to sell me a replacement package shelf, but due to it's thinness and size...damage might indeed occur as noted realistically by other FABO members and so I guess I will first try to give it a shot painting it myself...just wondering which is better for material involved....hand painting or spray painting semi-gloss/matte black? Thanks again for everyone's help...and last question...are the repro's made out of better material than original? If I screw this up, I will be in contact with one of you....thanks.
All the Best,
Greg

the replacements are the same material particle board or similar to it. I would can spray it. The paint absorbs into the material pretty quick and will dull naturally. A few even coats should give you the desired effect. A cool temp and shade should produce the best results.
It should be and look fine mine was replaced only because it was missing altogether. Otherwise I would have gone this route without a doubt.

the replacements are the same material particle board or similar to it. I would can spray it. The paint absorbs into the material pretty quick and will dull naturally. A few even coats should give you the desired effect. A cool temp and shade should produce the best results.
It should be and look fine mine was replaced only because it was missing altogether. Otherwise I would have gone this route without a doubt.

Thanks Rocky JS...will let you how it turns out when I do it....my new wiper pivot seals kit and plastic bushings just arrived in the mail and so that will have my undivided attention for a while (hopefully not too long)...Thanks again for your help, Greg

That fiberboard will absorb paint until the end of time. It is so brittle that if you take it out and put it back without breaking it, pat yourself on the back for job well done.
It needs to be flat black so it doesn't reflect on the glass. Good luck

That fiberboard will absorb paint until the end of time. It is so brittle that if you take it out and put it back without breaking it, pat yourself on the back for job well done.
It needs to be flat black so it doesn't reflect on the glass. Good luck
Thanks for the tip....

use a mixture of 2 parts paint to 1 part thinner in any black semi gloss rust paint.
the mixture will be thin and easy to spread with a paint brush.
use a cotton rag to wipe evenly as you go or use instead of a brush if you like
coat again if necessary.(while in the car)

I have ordered them before for myself and other people from N O S Reproductions in Ontario , and never had a problem , and fit great ,and they are a long piece away from me like prob 18 to 20 hour drive .

-
Back