What Wire Goes Here?

-

73Swinger18

✱ⓈⓌⒾⓃⒼⒺⓇ
Reaction score
This is from a '73 Dart Swinger w/318. The connector is on the passenger side near the bulkhead and valve cover. Looks like it got hot and the previous owner cut it off. I don't see any wires around that may have hooked up to it. Thanks!
IMG_20170307_162059.jpg

I have and reference it a lot, but am having a hell of a time finding this. I was hoping someone here might be more familiar with the schematic.

I'm not as familiar with the "newer" stuff as the older....

Melt downs at that connector are pretty common. In most cases the wire will be the same color on both sides of. We see the female side m.i.a. What color wire going out the male side that we cant see ( if its still there ) could be a clue.

Mine was melted as well and I am pretty sure that's where the alternator Batt+ charge wire originally went through.

x2 Trailbeast Mopar wired cars withevery option possible . therefore not all wires are used . Also, the wiring is 60 years old

On my 73 sport I can't tell which corner but here goes
1 grey appears to go to oil sending sensor
2 green to alt
3 black heavy goes to alt and last
4 two blue one to alt and other to maybe electric choke or ac

image.jpg

Thank you very much for the pictures. Some of the colors match, but not all of them. I wonder if the previous owner repurposed a pin on the connector.

That's what it looks like to me.
In any case the burned alt Batt+ stud wire has been routed around the connector, so that's good.
I considered removing the connector completely since it's just a few acc left on it, and I don't see any worthwhile advantage to being able to disconnect everything there anyway.
In my opinion that connector is just a place for a bad connection to happen.

This is a repo harness but they used the correct wire color I can check my old harness if you need
I'd appreciate that. That way I could find which connector it is in the schematic (hopefully). How much was that harness and where did you get it?

The large black is BATT post on alternator and never should have went through another connector anyway in my opinion.
This inline connector was added to the engine harness for nothing more than ease of/more universal installation.
Earlier models had different length wires from the bulkhead connector to their various terminations depending on what engine is installed. This added connector made all wires same length to this point. Sure the terminals used are about the same as those in the bulkhead but then we already knew those would melt down. If a owner has rerouted a single wire or every wire outside this connector... good!
I'm not saying the reproduction harness is destine to the same occurrence. I will say I don't see it as any better than the undersized pizz poor OEM wiring though.
Does the definition of "reproduction" mean exactly like OEM and not improved and/or better than OEM ?

The large black is BATT post on alternator and never should have went through another connector anyway in my opinion.
This inline connector was added to the engine harness for nothing more than ease of/more universal installation.
Earlier models had different length wires from the bulkhead connector to their various terminations depending on what engine is installed. This added connector made all wires same length to this point. Sure the terminals used are about the same as those in the bulkhead but then we already knew those would melt down. If a owner has rerouted a single wire or every wire outside this connector... good!
I'm not saying the reproduction harness is destine to the same occurrence. I will say I don't see it as any better than the undersized pizz poor OEM wiring though.
Does the definition of "reproduction" mean exactly like OEM and not improved and/or better than OEM ?

That is exactly how I feel about that connector and is the reason I am gradually getting it out of there completely on my own car.
Putting that kind of amp load on a blade connector was really dumb IMO.

I unwrapped all the tape and found the repaired alternator wire. It was twisted/soldered together, but was very corroded. I put a barrel on it and soldered it together. Thanks for the help guys!
IMG_20170308_184514.jpg

IMG_20170308_184443.jpg

-
Back