What would cause this! Valve cover gasket

-

schmitt

Reaction score
Morose valve cover gaskets with mopar valve covers.

Been on and off a few times now. Was out doing some street testing and she started smoking and I had oil poring on the headers. (Already installed new ones tonight) just wondering if I'm doing something wrong.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 360
Another

Attachments

• image.jpg
    16.3 KB · Views: 361
You can't use the Moroso gaskets with the Mopar valve covers. About the only gasket that works with the Mopar valve covers is the thick black ones from Fel Pro. Part number 1612.

The Mopar valve covers are designed wrong. They do not line up with the rails on the cylinder head so you end up putting the gasket in shear rather than compression. The Moroso gaskets tear when you put them in shear, they are only designed to work in compression.

Been there and done that!

You can't use the Moroso gaskets with the Mopar valve covers. About the only gasket that works with the Mopar valve covers is the thick black ones from Fel Pro. Part number 1612.

The Mopar valve covers are designed wrong. They do not line up with the rails on the cylinder head so you end up putting the gasket in shear rather than compression. The Moroso gaskets tear when you put them in shear, they are only designed to work in compression.

I wonder,
what are the best fitting valve covers for a r/b w/ victor type heads ? andy/ anyone ?

I did not know this! Damn I just bought two new ones too

You can see what the problem is if you measure across the rails on the head and then measure the rails inside the valve cover. What you'll find is that the Mopar valve cover is wider than the head. The rails in the valve cover hang off the edge of the head. So when you tighten the valve cover bolts the valve cover acts like a guillotine and shears the gasket. That is why the rubber is peeled off on those Moroso gaskets.

You can see what the problem is if you measure across the rails on the head and then measure the rails inside the valve cover. What you'll find is that the Mopar valve cover is wider than the head. The rails in the valve cover hang off the edge of the head. So when you tighten the valve cover bolts the valve cover acts like a guillotine and shears the gasket. That is why the rubber is peeled off on those Moroso gaskets.

Thanks Andy, I know I ran these Moroso's for awhile last year but im guessing its only a matter of time before the new ones do the same thing and im sitting on the side of the road.??

I will order the Fel-pro 1612.

How are the Mopar P4452091 (rubber reinforced cork for cast valve covers)

I see they also have Mopar P5155509 (reusable) but doesn't say for cast like the above^

These billet covers are designed to work with the Moroso gaskets. The rail is 1/2 inch thick and directly above the valve cover rail in the cylinder head so everything fits together nice and tight.

DSC_9601 (Large).JPG

DSC_9603 (Large).JPG

wow, these covers are very nice....but made out of a solid piece of aluminum makes them pretty expensive i think. Completely milled inside? must be a lot of chips....;-)

Michael

wow, these covers are very nice....but made out of a solid piece of aluminum makes them pretty expensive i think. Completely milled inside? must be a lot of chips....;-)

Michael

Yes, made from a solid piece of aluminum that weighs about 35 lbs. Machined inside and out.

DSC_9608 (Large).JPG

Here is what the problem is with the Mopar valve covers. The blue template is what the valve cover shape should be to match the rails on the cylinder head. As you can see, the guy who designed the Mopar valve cover didn't pay attention to matching the heads, he made the valve cover to wide which is why they don't seal up properly. The offset force twists the gasket and peels it off the head.

DSC_9609 (Large).JPG

I ended up getting the Fel Pro. Part number 1612. gaskets AndyF had recommended.

I'm running the Moroso currently with no leaks but im thinking it's a matter of time before they rip again and I sit on the side of the road. Prob should change them out to be safe.

-
Back