What would it be worth?

-

Joe Dokes

Reaction score
Should I sell my project or finish it?

So I have a '67 Dart that I have been accumulating parts to do a 6.1L Hemi Swap but am contemplating selling the project.

I have about 10K into parts, and would need to put another 5K to finish it.

67 Post Car
factory bucket seats and a four speed center console, with a hurst shifter
Rear End would be mini-tubbed with a Ford Explorer 8.8 including disc brakes and Trac Loc
Transmission A833 4-Speed with a Gear Vendors OD
Engine 6.1L Hemi Stock with TTI Headers
Suspension Rebuilt with 1.00 Torsion Bar and aftermarket sway bar including 12" Cop Car disc Brakes
Wheels and Tires - cop Car 15" Steel Wheels and tires 15X10 in the back with a 325 50 15 and a 225 60 15 up front.

If the car had a fresh coat of paint and a relatively clean interior what do you think it would be worth?

Would it be worth it to finish it or should I just cut my losses and sell what I have?

Regards,

Joe Dokes

I think you might do better to finish it, but you could probably do quite well selling it now or parting it out too. It's going to take the right buyer if you keep it together, though.

sorry to hear you're contemplating this.

from a money perspective if the car was all done and in cherry condition / new paint you could probably get 25k out of it on a good day. if you have 10k in, and need roughly 5k more in parts, assume odds n ends parts another 2k paint job at least 2k probably 4k.

so you will be in it for 21k or so at a minimum. probably right now you could part everything out and make your money back. if you finish it and then go through all the trouble of trying to get top dollar you aren't going to make all that much.

these cars are more a labor of love than an auctioneer's dream. something to build and enjoy rather than a profit project.

You would probably have an easier time of parting it out.

If you have gotten distracted, life has happened or your suffering from burnout or lack of funds just cover It up and let it become somewhere to store stuff on top of in the garage. I'm sure many of us either have done or are doing this right now. The benefit to this is that if it was in your blood once it will be again and you will most likely regret getting rid of it if you do. Under no circumstances get rid of it to appease a wife or girlfriend. Hell no you will be instantly neutered and lose your identity. Oh and by the way if you do decide to sell and get out of it unless it's for Health reasons don't forget to return your man card. HaHaHa!

I'd agree it's probably easier to part out assuming you haven't done much modification specifically for the Hemi (not that there's typically much to do). Selling a roller as a blank canvas for the next guy to put his thoughts into and a separate drivetrain would probably be the easier sell. Resto mods have always been a weird market. Some people pay crazy money for them, but usually because it was a big name shop that built them. To the average Joe it's just another car with a different engine. I think I could probably get parts value out of my car if I sold it, but I also built it pretty cheaply and didn't get real fancy since it was always going to be a driver as opposed to a show car.

Like others have said, unless it's for health reasons, set it aside and let it set for a while. Even doing these conversions as cheaply as possible is not all that cheap. Compare it with buying a nicely converted/built car all done. It would cost a good chunk of change. Unless you have big bucks to just plunk down on a completed car, you HAVE TO expect it to take a while (years) to build. The cost of living life in general, (home, family, etc) is not cheap. You have to sneak in a car part(s) purchase in here and there, when you have the extra bucks. Same thing with TIME. Life consumes a lot of time, especially with family. You have to sneak in a little time here and there on the car when you can. It takes patience to build one in these circumstances.

I bought my Cuda many, many years ago. The goal has changed directions several times and has endured many changes in my life. Marriage, divorce, a business venture, another marriage (good one this time), recent major home move. The car has a ways to go, but is so much closer now than it has ever been. It's sometimes frustrating to see / hear of cars being built in a short time, but those guys have different life circumstances, plain and simple.

Don't sell the car. DO limit the build to your original concept and plan. "Chunk" the build down into smaller segments that you can complete, so that you feel a sense of completion from time to time. Keep thinking of driving the completed car, that's what keeps me going. That, and an occasional Mopar show where I see and hear that familiar Mopar sound and watch the people drive in or away. Can't wait until that is ME driving my car!!!

Don't do it you will regret it down the road. I have sold a few cars over the years and have great regrets. My wife and daughter and granddaughter will have to deal with my junk when I die! My granddaughter already called dibs on the cuda and she is pushing hard to finish it.

Thanks for the replies.

The rule in my house is one project at a time. So for one to come in, one has to go out.

It's just that right now a bunch of my friends have migrated away from Hot Rods to Jeeps.

I've thought about keeping the Hemi and putting it into the Jeep. :)

I was all hot and bothered to ditch the car last week and this week I want to keep it.

If I thought I could get out of it what I put into it, I'd definitely finish it.

Thanks for the views.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

Over the years, my friends have migrated to many other interests also. At this point, they all admire me for STILL having my Cuda. They wish they had THEIR hot rods back. They're all cheering me on to finish my car so they can ride in it. When done, it's way more car than any of them had back when they were fooling with hot rods. I follow my own path and don't get side tracked because of the directions that my friends may go...

-
Back